would you? change jobs?

larry merlau

look into a full time woodworking job instead of your present job? what if the pay was less or bennies less? i was just informed of a local place looking for some one, and this brought up some questions.. right now i do it becasue i enjoy it, after doing it 40 hrs a week for who knows who long would you loose the fun aspect of it? i am going to stop and see the partics on it, have to satisfy my curiosty... this appears to be a healthy shop. is large and has been there for awhile. any suggestions on what to ask or look for would be appreciated.

Larry,

I've got a slightly different take. The big question is: "What are you doing now? Do you want to do that for the rest of your life? When you're 80, are you going to look back and say 'I followed my interests and did something meaningful that was fulfilling and useful?'"

Like most people, I've changed careers several times. Each time, I ended up doing what I was doing when I didn't *have* to be doing anything. It's not the most *profitable* way to decide on a career, and it means a little bouncing around and starting over sometimes, but it does tend to work out... ;)

Just a contrary opinion from a career contrarian. Take it for what it's worth... ;) No-on can advise you on something like this...

Thanks,

Bill

I just talked about this subject with a guy at my church that helps people fix their cars. He has be told numerous times that he should open his own shop, and I asked him why he didn't. He said that it takes the enjoyment out of it for him, having to keep cars coming in, meeting deadlines, working very long hours, etc. He said he would just rather do it as a hobby and not have to rely on it for a paycheck, said he just would rather keep his 40 hr week job for the paycheck.

Granted he likes what he does for his regular job so you will have to keep that in mind. You should definetely go check into it and let us know what you find out.

i called to see if the cat was dead!

it definatly isnt:eek: this place does high end cabinetry and furniture and is looking for some expeirnce but not a necessity. he was very forth coming with the answers to the questions i asked. this is setup with it all health and retirement plans,, although i am never get that old:)10 hours 5 days a week. he even told me the customer base in sorts as to what they make and where it goes. asked if i could stop in to talk and he said that resume would be the best route..aint dun one them things i over twenty years:eek: :huh: :dunno: add in my typin skills i need not apply huh:D

"resume would be the best route"

Larry,

There are a bunch of experts on here... type out and post what you have, I bet you'd get a lot of good pairs of eyes to help you work on it...

Thanks,

Bill

Don't type a word. Just send him pictures of your work. If that doesn't get you the job, you probably didn't want to work there anyway.:)

hey rennie if did that i wouldnt get the job:eek: just ask those that have seem my oops's and they can tell ya. i have thought on this abit since and just dont like the idea oif losin my vacation time i anit gettin younger and it took me along time to have few days off with pay.. and if the ship did sink i could possibly pedal of some of my oops to a few locals that dint know any better:D

"resume would be the best route"

Larry,

There are a bunch of experts on here... type out and post what you have, I bet you'd get a lot of good pairs of eyes to help you work on it...

Thanks,

Bill

well bill when i talked with him he was very free with info, i talked with my dad and he filled me in on the history of this shop, its not new, just gotten alot bigger. the one thing that i feel i would like to get would be some expeince in a shop of this staute to learn from but like you said there are alot of expeince here that i can tap into without losun vacation time.. or job security. and in these days that means alot in our parts i know i can get the pink slip anytime as we all know in todays world but to go to a new spot your odds are far greater... must be alittel wisdom has setlled in this thick head of mine huh:dunno: :dunno: :thumb:
P.S and have got a invite back to the caffine cabinet shop next year:)

Last edited:
Something like this is always difficult. As I look back, I had many job offers at one time and can't help thinking 'what if?". Judging from what others have said about your work, I suspect you could rise fast in that company and find the work challenging and rewarding. One thought does concern age. Working independantly, an injury could turn you into a welfare case overnight. With a company there could be duty adjustments and/or insurance. Lotsa things to consider. Good luck.

larry, what would you gain from accepting the job? would you learn to be a better craftsman? or would you learn to feed machinery?
for me anyway the decision to become a woodbutcher was because i could continue to learn the different aspects of the trade untill i kick the bucket, there are so many different facets to master that if a fellow really applys himself maybe by the time he`s 70-80 years old he`ll become proficient in quite a few......something to think about? tod

larry, what would you gain from accepting the job? would you learn to be a better craftsman? or would you learn to feed machinery?

you do make a good point tod, i am not sure this is feed the machine kinda place as much as they could be , the guy i spoke with said many times it was not a production shop,, he said it was high end work for demanding customers. which to me would lead towards more quality than quantity, i have pretty much decided to let it go. my odds are better where i am at and at my old age, i need to play the odds:D as for the invalid scenaoro i have got the coverage where i am at now. at least this way i kinda got a spare card to play, and what i have learned thus threw my practice sessions has been rewarding and i can see where i learn more if i continue to pursue it as i have been, so thanks for the input folks. i will just keep on tapping our family as the need arises and learn from friends rather than a boss:wave: :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Larry, :wave:
Sounds like your mind is made up and I respect your opinion to stay with the security. If you work 8 hours at your secure job, I would try to be creative and see if you could work 1 1/2 hours at reduced pay and no benefits for this other guy and his company. I believe the benefits of being around that environment would be very beneficial. You could process a day's work of other people, while learning so much and still maintain your present position. I am sure you would be a great asset even for the small amount of time because you want to do it and you want to learn. That makes for the best team employee. :)
Shaz

I always hate those kind of decisions. One thing I have decided though is I would never go to work in big wood working shop. It would take the fun out of it at home. I would consider a part time job with a small high end shop, providing there wasn't a whole lot of drama! :D

If it were me at your stage in life ....................I'd stay put.

You could commute to Charlotte on the weekends and work at a cabinet shop to gain some knowledge, or swing over here to the carpenters pole barn and learn some rough framing techniques.....but for stability I'd not leave unless I had to in the event of the place shutting down.

Congratulations on making a decision.
BTW, I think it says a lot about FW, and the people here, that you shared a potentially life altering issue with us then included us in the same statment with your family.