RPi/Octoprint Situation?

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I posted the following to the Facebook Anet and RPi forums, but have to response yet. So, I'll give it a shot here for you IT gurus:

I've been having a consistent condition with Octopi/Octoprint. When I first turn on my printer, I don't get the Octoprint icon on my Network list in File Manager. I turn off the power, wait ten seconds, restore power and the Octoprint icon appears. I click into it and the browser opens normally.

Now, adding to the intrigue of the situation, I logged into my wifi router Monday morning to see what was happening. When I first turned on the printer/RPi, the wifi statistics page on my router showed another connection, but no icon on File Manager. After waiting a few minutes, I powered down and the wifi entry went away. I re-powered, the wifi entry reappeared and the File Manager Network icon popped in. The MAC address on the router list was the same in both conditions.

Suggestions???

ps: Once I have established the link to the RPi via wifi, it stays solid.

So if I'm following you, you're are you using the File Manager to simply open the web page for OctoPi? I'm not sure of the order of operations on windows, but you may try opening a command window as a administrator, the run "ipconfig /flushdns" and see if it shows up after that without rebooting OctoPi, it may be a cache issue.

I've pretty much set a static ip on my OctoPi using the "reserved address" feature of the DHCP server on my TPLink router. You can also set this up in the OctoPi's configuration as a static IP (I'd have to locate the info, but know I've seen it).

I have seen an issue with the latest version that the USB/Serial connection to the printer won't re-establish until I reboot the OctoPi, but I'm not sure if it's the OctoPi or the Skynet software, I have yet to debug or spend much time on it.

Thanks, Guys. You've given me a couple of things to check. Another interesting aspect of this is that when I first got the RPi set up with Octopi, I could never connect using http://octopi.local/ - I just looked for the icon in File Manager - today the link worked. I'll delve into it a bit more tomorrow - storms moving into our area right now - looks plumb nasty out there!!