WEN 4210 Drill Press

Mark E Smith

Well decided on the WEN 4210 drill press, got it a few days ago and have in installed working already...lol...for $134 bucks plus free shipping this a very nice DP, frankly I am amazed at the quality for that price. Run out is .002 pretty shocking actually, you would expect that in a high cost DP.

There were a few little things, but easily fixed.

One - this comes de-assemble doesn't take long to put it together expected it come covered in cosmoline but omg they went crazy ..it was every where, so the first thing is getting rid of all that stuff, especially on the post I had to use mineral spirits then put a coat of paste waste on it every thing, not a big problem just time consuming.

second - spindle pulley wobbled like crazy, first impression was I need to send this back, this is crazy bad, but decided to investigate some, so I pulled the pulley. Diagram showed one set screw, but mine had two about 30 degree apart, when I pulled the pulley off I checked the run out on the top of the spindle .001 very good, looked a little further noticed no set screw marks on the top of the pulley rod, the marks were on the very top portion "T" part of the rod, put the pulley back on making sure it went completely down putting the set screw onto the flat part of the spindle rod, but that second set screw...hmmm...so just used the one, it still wobble a little, pulled it off and this time I ignored the flat spot rotated the pulley so both set screws could be used on the round part...absolutely zero pulley wobble, so quality control is an issue with WEN wasn't put together right.

third was the small vibration still made the pulley cover buzz a little, thin sheet metal will do that. so I used a small one inch piece of velcro (the fuzzy part) and placed it inside the covers top piece, one on each end of the cover so when closed it separates the two halves...no more noise and a bonus ..it makes the cover feel much more solid, kinda like the feel you get closing a solid core door as opposed to a hollow door

so if your in the market for bench top drill press, you can't go wrong with this little unit. very quality product amazing price and it is super quiet since I fixed the cover door...lol...just a very low hum, amazingly quiet

Few pics, what I had (40 yr old JC Penneys DP...lol) and the new WEN little bit of difference...lol...currently making a small table to go on top of the DP table with some T track for hold downs, not much bigger maybe 12x10 the WEN comes with a 7 5/8 x 7 5/8

IMG_20170210_153615.jpgIMG_20170210_151553.jpgIMG_20170210_151611.jpgIMG_20170210_152025.jpg

Very nice little unit Mark. What's the HP of the motor?

Says it is a 2/3 hp, but it also says 3.2 amps...seems low in the amp dept to be 2/3 hp, but seems powerful enough for me. Already used a one inch Forstner bit to make a thumb hole in some 3/4 stock (making a table for it), didn't even blink at that, no problems at all, smooth and fast. It has five speeds 600-3100, used the lower setting 1100. About half way down the page has the specs lots of extras for the price, especially like the laser, didn't even to set it, was spot on out of the box. Not to sure why the laser requires batteries while the work light works off the units power...little odd. Just noticed down to $128 now...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UKGLAS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1