Barn Gloat

Bob Spare

Got 4 trailers loads of FREE barnwood for major projects.

Danny the Barn Man did 90% of the work:thumb: :rofl: :thumb: :rofl: ,

I pulled nails.:huh: :huh: :huh:

The deal with Barn Man is if I find a barn, I get half of the wood, and he gets the rest.

In this case let him have all the large timbers, as I dont have room to store, or equipment to move them.
As I mentioned got 4 loads of siding.

The last two shots in these pictures are action shots of it falling.:doh: :doh:

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/BobGlen/WaterLoo Barn-1/

Last edited:
Ahh the fabled barn wood...it has bit many a good woodworker. May the experienced woodworker beware. Let me explain.

A few years ago barn wood was all the rage around here. Barns were being torn down and sold off as barn wood for pretty good money. I have no problems with that, as it was a win-win situation for the local farmers and the woodworkers and homebuilders in the area.

The problem is, some of these barns, many in fact, had been either dairy farms or chicken barns. Over the years the bedded animals did their business and it saturated the wood. After years of being without animals, the wood dries out and loses that fragrant smell. Unfortunately many homeowners (and carpenters and woodworkers who built stuff using the wood) found out this wood rekindles that smell once it is exposed to the heat and moisture of a home.

If this barn did indeed hold animals at one time, you might want to be leery of where you use this wood and the types of projects you make out of it. Outdoor projects and maybe even projects in the living room and other "dry" places might be alright, but definitely not in the hot, humid bathrooms and places like that. I would also be very leery of any kitchen items as chickens have Somenilla Poisoning and dairy cows have a plethora of health concerns as well.

I am not trying to rain on your picnic here, I am just saying be careful where you get the wood from and what kind of projects you make from it. You just might regret it down the road. Many others have been bitten by the barn wood snake as well.

Last edited:
Travis - wise information here. Several years ago a friend purchased all the used brick from the floors in the local stock exchange. A fireplace in their home looked fantastic using these bricks, however the odor was atrocious and they had to tear out the whole fireplace. Not an easy job!!:doh: :doh: :bang:

Ahh the fabled barn wood...it has bit many a good woodworker. May the experienced woodworker beware. Let me explain.

A few years ago barn wood was all the rage around here. Barns were being torn down and sold off as barn wood for pretty good money. I have no problems with that, as it was a win-win situation for the local farmers and the woodworkers and homebuilders in the area.

The problem is, some of these barns, many in fact, had been either dairy farms or chicken barns. Over the years the bedded animals did their business and it saturated the wood. After years of being without animals, the wood dries out and loses that fragrant smell. Unfortunately many homeowners (and carpenters and woodworkers who built stuff using the wood) found out this wood rekindles that smell once it is exposed to the heat and moisture of a home.

If this barn did indeed hold animals at one time, you might want to be leery of where you use this wood and the types of projects you make out of it. Outdoor projects and maybe even projects in the living room and other "dry" places might be alright, but definitely not in the hot, humid bathrooms and places like that. I would also be very leery of any kitchen items as chickens have Somenilla Poisoning and dairy cows have a plethora of health concerns as well.

I am not trying to pee on your picnic here, I am just saying be careful where you get the wood from and what kind of projects you make from it. You just might regret it down the road. Many others have been bitten by the barn wood snake as well.

Travis that is a very good point ,thats why i only use barn wood for exterior projects.
The worst stuff is the floor boards.
I also heard that raccoon dung is not healthy to breath in, especially when it dries out and turns to dust. :doh: :dunno: