1830's Philadelphia Secratery Desk

Jarrod just brought this in. Customer wants high polish (French) which is correct for the period. This is some nice old growth walnut !

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You are a brave man Dave. Taking on something as valuable and irreplaceable as this would have me shaking and sleepless. Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Just an observation. A few years ago I was at Gettysburg and in the museum they had a walnut dresser that was from one of the farm houses that had a couple of bullet holes. I've always heard that walnut lightens with age and I was shocked at how light this piece was. Have you found this to be true Dave? In the picture that piece looks pretty dark.

Yes I have an old walnut chest in her now. It's also in the same era, 1810-1830
Top showing & front side of a lower door and back side of a lower door. This is getting a oil finish and polished to high sheen.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
Thanks Dave, that color change is crazy! One other observation and then I'll hush. Seeing the top of that chest reminded me of the one I saw. I think it was from around the same time frame as that one. I guess the "rustic" look was in then:D. I was kind of shocked at how knotty the wood was they used in the chest I saw. You would think that the quality of wood and access to such wood would be fairly easy to come by then.

Again that is coming from someone who has very limited exposure to really old pieces. Heck you probably see more in a week than I have in my life!

Last edited:
John Character is everything LOL

Knot wood mainly went into drawers , bottoms and sides , back and bottom of pieces. I would find occasionally knots on table tops when larger board weights were used , exsample are the older drop leaf tables. 1 board for the top and 1 board each for the sides. Period style shutters would get the most knots.

Jarrod did get pictures when he delivered. Beautiful piece. One I would love to have.

Attachments

• Resized_20170302_181203.jpg
    Resized_20170302_181203.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Resized_20170302_181241.jpg
    Resized_20170302_181241.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 24