screw gun question

Does anyone have the DEWALT DW920K-2 screw gun? How does it work? Is it good?:huh: I am going to buy this model, so I am waiting for your opinions. Thanks

Welcome to the forum Clifford. :wave: I don't have the screw gun, so can't really give you any info on it, looks like a handy gun. What kind of projects do you plan to use it for?

On the other hand, It is possible to re-condition tools for a much smaller cost. So I would recommend buying a tool that has parts available. I had a Dewalt skil saw that had a bad motor. I wasn't able to repair it because the replacement parts were not available. I have a friend who has found $3-400 power tools in the trash and able to buy a new armature for $40-50.

Here is a site where you can check on replacement parts; http://www.ereplacementparts.com/power-tool-parts.html

Hi all! Thanks for your replies. So, I'm going to make home repairs. Also, I plan to do a bunk bed for my children, and later perhaps a tree house. Plans are grandiose:D, so I need this tool) I found here some others models of screw guns... anybody maybe happens to use it?
So now I have a great choice with your suggestions. And this time I'll try and pick the one.

clifford, on the jobsites you will see dewalt, bosch, makita, milwaukee and some hitachi cordless. there are some independents that will have festool as well but they are pricey.. i wouldnt spend money on black&decker at all home use i have had pretty good luck with ridgid and ryobi cordless tools. i have 2 of the ryobi drills i linked to in my wood shop they replaced wore out panasonics..more drill for the buck that the dewalt your looking at.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Many years ago Makita was having a sale that offered both a drill and driver, with the same 14 volt batteries, basically for the price of either the drill or driver. WOW! I use the driver more than the drill - it becomes an impact driver (like the air drivers in auto shops) when the screw gets tight, so the battery lasts a long time, and the power from the impact is immense. I have driven a 1/4 inch lag bolt inches into hardwood with it, but it is gentle enough to screw on furniture hinges.

Conclusion 1: A driver is enough different than a drill that once you use a driver, you will never go back
Conclusion 2: 14 volts seems to be a great size. I doubt if the 4 to 8 volt drivers would have enough power to make me happy
Conclusion 3: Be sure to get a name brand that is likely to have 3rd party replacement batteries available. (The new batteries are often newer technology with more life, and are often available after the manufacturer stops making them)
Conclusion 4: I was never happy with my DeWalt 12 volt drill system. I love my Makita, but also have other tools from Bosch that are very good. I have a few Festools but they wear out as badly as Bosch and similar.

I agree with Larry on anything from Black & Decker. Don't waste your money...there are better choices.

Second, I'd urge you to reconsider getting a screw gun as opposed to a drill and/or impact driver. It's like buying a car that can only go 5 mph in a straight line, as opposed to buying one that will go 0-60, even on curves. IMO those little screw guns are fine for driving one or two screws around the apartment, but for the projects you've outlined, I'd recommend getting a more substantial tool. (I have a Metabo screw gun that's handy for some things, but I'll still grab my Milwaukee 12v drill or driver 99% of the time instead.)

Conclusion 3: Be sure to get a name brand that is likely to have 3rd party replacement batteries available. (The new batteries are often newer technology with more life, and are often available after the manufacturer stops making them)

True. BUT........make sure the newer batteries can be used in your original charger. Some are not compatible and can cause fires.

For a small driver I have one of these http://www.cpotools.com/factory-rec...hrps21-2a-rt&gclid=CLCN99axudICFUdYDQodluQOYg The thing works great even on big screws. Now that gun is my carry in the truck use it for everything tool. When it comes to screwing down a roof or screwing framing togather than this drive gets pulled out. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC825B-18-Volt-Cordless-Package/dp/B002RT7K4Q And it is getting replaced with this driver just as soon as I get around to it. https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...feedsource=3&gclid=CJmfje-yudICFZGFswod7qUIAA