Good small CNC machine??

Hello all,

I have started looking into a small CNC machine for hobby and the options appear to be endless and confusing. One thing I know is that I want a machine that is already assembled. I would like a machine that is mostly ready to use. I don't need a large machine as I am only planning to do smaller projects an have seen that you can do larger pieces in tiles if need be.

I have been looking more at the CNC Shark, CNC Piranha, and the Axiom AR1 Hobby.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines or other recommendations? What are the better programs to use?

Thanks.

I looked at assembled machines but couldn't justify the cost.

So, I bought a ShapeOko 2 kit from Inventables. After deciding how big I wanted it, I added some components to the kit. I've been totally satisfied with its performance.

Inventables has a good alternative to a true kit in the form of Xcarve. There's some assembly involved but it is mostly plug-and-play. Support is also great. Check it here.

No experience with any of those machines but some thoughts overall. And I hear ya regarding a ready built machine. My build is taking forever!

If there is a users group with a forum, get involved with them. Voices of experience in spades. Post questions like, "would you buy it again?" "What is the biggest limitation you find?" "What do you like best." If the biggest answer here is the cost, understand that the cost of the machine is heavily outweighed by its functionality. If ir doesn't work as you need it to, it is just an expensive boat anchor.

As for programs. Think in thirds. The first is to draw. The second is to convert the drawing into machine language. The third is to run the machine. Formats must be compatible and/or convertible. Some software packages combine two of these, usually two and three. Each machine will have been designed for specific software. If it is propriety, you are stuck with that and whatever its limitations/availability over time are. Third party software like Vector has proven its worth and is updated and debugged regularly. There is also a large body of users. Personally, I consider propriety software to be the biggest problem with the smaller machine and it is a deal buster for me. YMMV.

If you have been lurking here, you know who the CNC people are and I am sure they will chime in to help you decide. Just remember we each have our perspective and there is no one perfect solution. That said, good luck in your quest and enjoy the immersion.

I personally have a machine I built myself, but our local woodworking guild has a Legacy Explorer (http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/explorer/) which is about in the same price range and comes with a customized version of Mach3 for control of the cnc. Several of our guild members have their machines and are happy with both the machine and service/training they provide. They don't show it as an option, but they also have a 4th axis option for the machine that you can use for ornamental turnings that mounts on the front of the machine.

If you're considering a diy build, I'd recommend the shapeoko or Ox cnc machines, we've got members here on the forum with both that have been happy with them.

I am of the same mindset. I CAN build a machine, but I don't WANT to. I purchased 3 already made machines. Two of them not new. One machine I have for sale, pretty much new. One I used a LOT and have since sold. That machine got some serious upgrades, mostly by me bartering my work for their work.

I know a guy that bought a Chinese machine from EBAY and he was happy with it. I don't know a lot about that one, and I don't know of any others.

I am quite active on the VECTRIC user forum and there are a lot of members dedicated to CNC. Several of the members have the Rockler Skark and they do some nice work with that one. The machines do have some limitations, but there are a lot of Shark owners out there so lots of opportunity to talk with other owners. I am sure there is also some level of support from Shark as well.

For ready to use with decent support and a decent reputation there is ShopBot. They have benchtop models. They have a user forum and LOTS of owners. Just about anywhere you go you will hear about ShopBot. This is a bit pricier but you get a nice bang for the buck. It also includes some really nice CAM software made by Vectric.

Moving up the ladder for ready made machines is CamMaster. Still higher in price, but also higher on the support and customer satisfaction.

Actually there are a lot of choices, that I did not mention, but the above are a few I know a little about. I have never owned any of them, but I know enough about them to talk a little about them.

On the kit side, there is Probotics, CNC Routerparts, both of which I hear good results from, particularly CNC routerparts. They are designed professionally and the kits are relatively easy to build.

And there is the inventables, OX, and others. They may take a bit more effort to work with and I hear mixed reviews on the machines. I don't think they are bad.

On another side of the coin there is the Chinese market. This is the route I took on my most recent machine. If this is the choice I would inform you that you will need to be somewhat savvy about CNC machines and how to get them up and running. I bought mine directly from China and I handled all the shipping arrangements as well as all the installation. I am very happy and yes, I would do it again.