small boxes

allen levine

probably childs play for most here, but all the mitres, all the parts, all the routing, a lot of work.

made a spline jig, added splines, still working on them, have to add the feet to 2 of them.

I decided when I make anything small, I should make 3-6 at a time, this way if my daughter grabs one, and my future daughterinlaw grabs one, I will still have some left if my wife or another relative wants one.
I made four, but I had to dump the sides of one box, the spalted maple was just too punky and didn't do well when I started to cut mitres. I finished the top to the box, Ill just make another 2 or 3 when I finish these.
It will be 2-4 coats of Danish oil, followed by either em6000 spray laquer, semi gloss, or wipe on poly, depending on where Im at with the night stands and the outdoor temps. I don't want a lot of unfinished products backing up on me.

Im going to make a run into new jersey, to a place called boardandbeams, Ive ordered from them before, I like the thick full cuts of their rough lumber, but Ill pick it up this time.
My supply is finally going dry, except for cherry.

heres some pictures of where they are right now. I spun the handles, not spending money on hinges.using anything/hardwood I have on hand and is less than 36 inches long.they are full of sawdust, they need to be cleaned up.

Attachments

• boxes 017.jpg
    boxes 017.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 71
  • boxes 016.jpg
    boxes 016.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 69
  • boxes 015.jpg
    boxes 015.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 72
Nice! I like the design. I'd do a different finial (You know I don't generally do any lathe work), but otherwise they're great! Daughter, D.I.L (future) and Elen will all love them.

Nice! I like the design. I'd do a different finial (You know I don't generally do any lathe work), but otherwise they're great! Daughter, D.I.L (future) and Elen will all love them.

I made smaller ones, well, I attemped, twice they broke on me, and I wanted something that could lift the tops off, the next ones Ill give it another shot.

Nicely done sir! :thumb:

Small boxes can be challenging. People pick them up, hold them, look closely at them - much more than the would do with a table or cabinet - so they need to be perfect in order to hold up under such intense scrutiny. Yours look to meet the challenge.

Well done and look nice. However, I can't say the mix of woods is to my taste.

to be completely honest, this challenge for me was building the jigs, mitre and spline jigs, and trying to make something without many errors.
I used whatever pieces of wood I had under 36 inches, or split, or warped, cut out as much good as I could get.

I just found a piece of something, Im not sure, possibly sapele, cracked, around 18 inches wide, 24 inches long. Im going to cut it up and see if I get enough to make another box out of. Im cleaning up the wood pile. That piece has been sitting here since 2009. I believe I gave a 4 ft piece of that wide stuff to bob Gibson? when he was visiting once.
Eventually, Ill head over to the lumber yard and pick out some nicely figured matching lumber for another box or two.

heres some pics with 2 coats of Danish oil. Figure popped on one of them.

Attachments

• oiledboxes 007.jpg
    oiledboxes 007.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
  • oiledboxes 006.jpg
    oiledboxes 006.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 25
  • oiledboxes 005.jpg
    oiledboxes 005.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 25
my first error I noticed, on the walnut box, I thought the small piece of lumber I thinned out for the splines was maple. Turns out I believe seeing the poor color of it it was poplar. Didn't even know I had poplar in the garage, so it must have been a scrap piece thrown in my loads way back when for free.
I wont make that error twice. Im throwing out the rest of the splines I cut.
(that one spline on the top right sort of has a greenish tint, the rest are ok, but I would have preferred maple, never really checked it that closely, it was white, and was mixed in the maple scrap shelf)
and for the next set of boxes, Im going to try to cut a little more shapely feet for them. Im not keen on using my bandsaw on such small pieces.
my wife is making me quilted pillows, very thin to put on the inside of each box, to cover the wood bottom.

Last edited:
I like them, Allen. Great job. :thumb: And I'll echo Rennie's comment about the fact that little boxes are scrutinized more than bigger pieces.