Outhouse for Candy

Dave Hoskins

OK. I know. Only part of this is turning but I put it here anyway. And, yeah. Maybe my sense of humor is a bit off. :rofl: I based the width of this on a 2 holer. The width is around 10" with a depth of 9" and a height of about 12". It was sealed with boiled linseed oil and given another coat. The wood for the outhouse was done with elm rough cut. The bowl is bodark with a diameter of 6", a height of 3 1/4" and a depth of 2 1/4". The capacity of the bowl is 2 1/2 cups. It was sealed with walnut oil and then finished with wax based on walnut oil and carnauba wax made by Mahoney's. I was already asked why there was not a crescent moon cut into the door. Actually, I have used many outhouses in my time and never saw one with the moon cutout so I left that off. Might add that for the giggles of it on the next one.

Cool little project, Dave. :thumb: I agree about the crescent moon cutout on the door. Although I've never actually seen or used an outhouse with one, it's such an iconic thing that it'd make it immediately clear to the casual observer what the little shack is intended to be.

Thanks, everybody! Chuck, I was not as worried about a wasp nest in the ones I used as I was opening the door and finding a fat rattlesnake in there just waiting. Had that happen several times. Once walked over to one to find a really big rattlesnake all stretched out beside dead as a door nail. Guess he spent too much time in the outhouse. :D Poor thing.

First rule of outhouses and bomb sights is to remove all valuables from the vicinity of the hole. Nothing more fun than dipping a wallet/cell phone from the pile. Not so fond memories of the honey dipping and creosote painting detail we used to draw straws for when closing down scout camp for the season.:rofl:

Aha! Brian! Now I know someone who did that too! Guys. Now seriously. Miniature corn cobs? uh uh Didn't use them or catalogues. Them catalogues were always slick paper. Used old newspapers and things like that. I ain't gonna go no further than that cuz the lady folks might get a bit upset with me. :D

Never did it to someone in an outhouse. But, did to a porta potty. Told them that if they didn't mind I was trying to take a bath down there. That got 'em!!! Also got 'em with a remote controlled fart machine. :rofl: