Exterior Glue Question

Hey all,

As usual, it's been a while. This month is turning out to be a banner month, but I have a concern with one of my jobs.

I have to make some western red cedar balcony rails, posts, and scrolled infills. There are a few places that require a glue up. I have not been totally pleased with Titebond 3 in the past. My initial thought is to use polyurethane glue, but I thought I should inquire further. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything better than polyurethane glue? Thanks!

-Hutch

Last edited:
I glued up handrails on our deck with Titebond 3. It's touted as being waterproof but not submersible. It's been a year now and there's no problem at all. The wood is WR cedar.

Resourcinol, as far as I know, is the only commonly available (not so commonly available anymore, tho') truly waterPROOF glue, most of the others are actually water resistant.But I have had good luck with plastic resin glue in outdoor use...actually it was on balusters on a porch railing....but it was painted. Now I know the polyurethane glues are billed as waterproof, but I haven't seen the lab testing that confirms it; it may exist, but I'd look for it versus the manufacturer's claim.

Last edited:
I've built 7000+ chairs over 15 years using Titebond 3. Never had a glue related problem. I wouldn't use it to build a boat but as long as its warm enough to cure properly it would be my first choice.

Thanks all for the feedback. I agree T3 isn't a "poor" glue, I just thought I should go with something that's waterproof. This third story balcony is for a house on a lake. I got this job through a contractor, and I haven't been to the house to know the level of UV exposure. I figure better safe than sorry.

-Hutch