It's Friday! 4/14/2017 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF! It's been a long week and looking forward to this weekend. I've got some yard work to try and knock out tonight between rain showers so that the grandson will be able to find some easter eggs in the yard. We're hosting easter dinner at our house this year, so I'm sure I've got a short list of honey-dos to take care of also.

Beside that I've started on a mothers day woodworking project (pics to come) and have some general shop cleanup to get done.

How about everyone else?

Been clear and dry for the past couple days (more rain tomorrow) so it's been yard clean-up and mowing, rolling, edging, a bit of mulching, etc. (Damn, I'm tired already!) Got a load of wood from a local mill yesterday, so stacking and stickering that, too. 12/4 & 16/4 cherry, some 8/4 oak, and a couple boards each of Osage Orange and Mulberry. No plans for it yet - just storing in the (nearly full) barn.

Working down the honey do list. Replaced the glass in the steel entry front door today. Family over for dinner today. Starting on putting down the new floor in the great room this weekend. Also getting started on yard work with the warm weather.

3 grandkids tonight all night. Saturday, Easter supper. Larry stopping by sometime this weekend. Carol, you being buried with the day job is kind of an oxymoron isn't it?? :rolleyes:

Have a good one all!!!:thumb:

Got a new piece of curly maple yesterday, and I get to try it out tonight at the Dragonhorn Tavern...

Michael Kelly Hybrid 55 - 1 800.jpg Michael Kelly Hybrid 55 - 2 800.jpg

It's a Michael Kelly Hybrid 55. Curly maple cap on a korina body, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Should cover a lot of sonic ground, with Fender sounds, Gibson sounds, and since it also has a piezo pickup in the bridge, acoustic guitar sounds. Maybe with this one, I'll be able to cut back to just four guitars at gigs instead of five or six. :D Michael Kelly is a small US guitar company that designs various instruments and has them manufactured to their specs overseas. I highly recommend the company. I ordered a different guitar from them last Saturday night, then an hour or so later I changed my mind and decided I wanted this one. I sent an email to their customer service department requesting the change, and Sunday morning I got a personal reply from the president of the company telling me the change would be no problem. That's what I call good customer service. This particular guitar came from the same Korean factory that makes PRS SE guitars (of which I own three) as well as several other well-regarded import brands. This one plays like a dream straight out of the box, and the fit and finish is impeccable. These days the Koreans are making some of the nicest mid-priced guitars on the market. A comparable US-made guitar would be between $2000 and $3000, whereas this was about $700. (I'm selling a couple of my Fender Stratocasters to pay for this one. That will leave me with only three Strats, lol.)

I'm finally getting over my respiratory infection, so the rest of the weekend will be the usual combination of yard and house chores.

Happy Easter, everyone!

LOML and I drove to Valdosta this morning. I needed to get some photo mat at Michael's for a frame I'm making for my daughter's MS Degree Diploma. We had lunch at Steak & Shake (Bobbie's favorite burger). We both got a few things from Harbor Freight, then drove back home. Just chilling out now.

Saturday will be some shop time. I'll try out the power planer I got today on the high spots on my walnut slab. Also have a bit of yard work to do.

Sunday will be a day of rest.

Been kinda goofing off today and yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that my black bellied whistling ducks made their first spring appearance yesterday. Always neat seeing them eating on the deer corn and getting a drink. Generally doing duck stuff I guess. Tomorrow back at it and plugging away.

Gardening on saturday, shop time on sunday. Weather is going to be nice for a little while tomorrow, then go downhill. Really wish I could get out and do more outdoor stuff soon.

Learning small engine repair...from the YouTube. My 2-stroke Mantis tiller stopped playing nice after nearly 25 years. Started messing with it. Thought the muffler screen was clogged, but nope. Tried to replace the gas filter and broke one of the lines, so I scrounged google looking for a replacement. Found a complete carb, gaskets, gas lines, filter for $15 on Amazon with good ratings. Claims it will be here tomorrow. Amazing.

My stepson, Ed, is coming in tonight or early tomorrow morning for the weekend.. his regular scheduled time home... he'll be here for 3-4 days... next Tuesday is his birthday, so we'll probably celebrate that on Sunday since he's likely to head back out on the road Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.... Saturday my son is coming over with my daughter in law and we'll go out to dinner for a belated celebration of Dianne's and My 25th anniversary... Sunday is Easter, after celebrating Ed's birthday we'll likely just kick back. Monday Ed wants to take the pickup up on the mountain for a photo session while I do some yard work.

The long ride home and back to the real world after a week in the future! Tokyo is like being in a science fiction movie.
I'll be home by midnight if all goes well, then rest up on Easter Sunday, maybe do a few jobs that don't require much thinking. Spring arrived while I was away, so some yard work might be in the mix.

Like many others I am continuing the yard work from last year. I have reseeded much of the lawn and fertilized.

My neighbor has firewood in his yard for me also.

I have the week off next week so I also have shop work to do. I need to create a dovetail process for the CNC now that I have vertical clamping. I also have a couple of paying jobs to work on and my kitchen cabinets to work on.

I ordered an external smoke generator for smoker to do ham. Wallie world do great job of fast delivery. Free shipping included. Brined a fresh ham for a week. Then Thursday put in smoker. Started at low heat which is where external smoker came in. Started smoking from the get go. Followed time and temperature chart which put me way behind. Didn't finish till 2am. What a long day. Away way it's done. Had to BBQ for evening meal. So it was just cook cook cook. Wonderful day.
Have daughter and family in house 3 grandkids and significant other for several weeks. Then for Easter, son a d family (4 kids and spouse) what a house full. Daughter in law is finishing up her divinity degree and preaching Sunday so will be a little late for dinner.
It's just family so it's all good or better.
Everyone enjoy the Easter celebration and enjoy family and friends.

David

I've been given a couple of assignments today - to make a couple of fancy loaves for after tonight's Eastr blowout at church, and prepare a firepot for said Easter service. If I get a spare hour or so, I may be able to start getting my lathe ready for action, because spring is here!