Cabinet software

Have you looked into Ecabinet's free software?

I just loaded the new 5.0 version.

It is difficult for me. But a good program.
Yes. Based on cnc, but fully usuable without the cnc stuff

eCabinet is based on a library you build based on your normal construction techniques. For example, if you want a 1.6 inch face frame, you build that into your first cabinet, and then build other cabinets based on that initial cabinet (so you only customize it once). They have a 3 day training class for a few hundred dollars to help you get started, if you get stuck. So a few hundred dollars, plus travel, to use free software, is stil a LOT cheaper than Cabinetware.

When I looked at cabinetware, it provides a library of templates... if they have what you want, you are ahead, but if you have to customize the template, it is as hard (or harder) than eCabinet.

I build custom furniture, not kitchen cabinets. The effort to design a Murphy Bed or a bunk bed or a folding table or a cigar humidor was too high... it seemed to be great for kitchen cabinets, but I haven't used it much since that isn't my focus.

I was infomed by a fellow woodworker that he paid about $8,000 for his cabinetvision!!

That's a big discrepency from e-cabinet(free) to cabinetvision($8,000):eek: :huh:

Cabinet Planner looks like very interesting inexpensive software, but be sure to note the huge difference between it and the other two mentioned... both eCabinet and CabinetVision provide 3D rendering... you can offer clients a view of their kitchen from any angle. eCabinet (which I have used) even lets you select the wallpaper pattern, floor tile, and view out the windows.

For my personal use, CabinetPlanner would be great, but clients have trouble visualizing designs, which is why I got involved in eCabinet and SketchUp (pictures but not plans and cutlists)

Cabinet Planner looks like very interesting inexpensive software, but be sure to note the huge difference between it and the other two mentioned... both eCabinet and CabinetVision provide 3D rendering... you can offer clients a view of their kitchen from any angle. eCabinet (which I have used) even lets you select the wallpaper pattern, floor tile, and view out the windows.

For my personal use, CabinetPlanner would be great, but clients have trouble visualizing designs, which is why I got involved in eCabinet and SketchUp (pictures but not plans and cutlists)

I have looked at ecabinet but there is a huge learning curve and right now cabinet vision is out of the question. I'm going to check out the cabinetware for now.

Doug

Have you looked at SketchUp? I think you could do what you need with it. There is a free version from Google although it is not for commercial use. SU5Pro is about $500 so cheaper than the $800 application. Depending on how you want to use it, you can create as much detail as you want or as little. You can make components that can be saved in a library for reuse, make either 2D, 3D iso views or nice 3D perspective views.

If desired, with the SU5Pro, output can be JPGs, PDFs, CAD files, even animations for walk throughs. The free version won't do all that, though.