Shop Improvement Movement - *IT'S OFFICIALLY ON!*

IT'S ON! So here's the rules.

1.) Let's make a shop improvement project with the goal of being built by June 30. It can be any kind of improvement, i.e. jig, organization, hand tools cabinet, etc.. but it must involve building and/or woodworking at its core.

2.) Complexity level is irrelevant. All skill levels participate on this site, and the point of this is to improve how we work in our shop.

3.) As always, it didn't happen if there aren't photos, so let your inner shutterbug shine. VIDEOS WOULD BE SO AWESOME, but again, not the purpose of this build.

4.) A new thread will be created around June 30 for people to share their finished project photos and/or videos.

5.) Anyone can jump in on this at any time.

LET THE BUILD BEGIN! (And May the Fourth be with you!)

- Hutch

-- Original Post--

A group build y'all!

Seriously, this type of project has the potential to be great fun, not to mention educational.

I propose a "shop gift". I don't want to be too specific. :D

Let's be honest. All of us have ideas for projects that will help us be more efficient or organized in the shop. Some may dream of the ultimate tool caddy while others may perpetually search the web for the ultimate sharpening station. Regardless of the need, I think it would be fun to start a fairly open ended group project that focuses on "shop development".

Also, it would be super cool if folks were able to shoot some video of the build.

Anywho, if you think this is something you would enjoy participating in just say the word. That is, reply to this thread stating the state of your status.

Maybe a June 18 deadline?

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Let's do it!

Regards,
Hutch

Last edited:
This sounds great! Count me in!

Heck, I'll even volunteer to maintain the list of participants and do the bookkeeping on who sends to who! :thumb:

Wow, responses already. Cool!

I guess I did not word things quite right. I actually meant a "shop gift to yourself" since we all know what our individual shop needs are. Now, I want to be clear that this is just my immediate thought, and the idea of "group build, group share" seems pretty neat.

Hm.......this gets the wheels turning.... :)

Hey, what about this..... Since each person has their own shop improvement/development need maybe those who participate make a list of a few things they want made for their shop. Each item on the list can be detailed in its function so it actually will be useful once received. Then the name of who you will be sending something to is chosen. You then decide which thing on the list you would like to engineer, build, and send. This would keep it a bit of a surprise for the recipient, and the builder can choose something he or she can actually get completed with the time they have available.

Y'all's thoughts, suggestions, comments, improvements?

Also, the date I proposed was just pulled out of the air.

- Hutch

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

Kind of like a gift registry for shop improvement items. You pick from the registry and the recipient does not know what you are giving until they open the box.

Not counting myself in just yet, but interested.

If i can get my bathroom remodel completed reasonably soon, this sounds like fun. Some upgrades for my shop are scheduled after the bathroom is complete so this would fit right in. Not 100% ready to commit, but close:)

I hear you guys, big time. I am slammed with work in my shop at the moment, and I'm also in the middle of remodeling one of my bathrooms. I figure that at least getting the idea out there at this time might be helpful in order to get it on people's radars.

Would waiting to officially start this thing until 3 or 4 weeks from now make it possible for more folks to participate?

- Hutch

I liked the first idea best. I have enjoyed the swaps in the past, but the first idea has many merits. We build for our shop, document the build, and post. Either post as we go or post the entire thing at the end. I am in the midst of a major clean up, organization, finish of my shop build's electrical needs. If it is for ourselves, I am in. I do not have the time to build for anyone else as it would mean the same old move this stack of stuff to accomplish said task, then move another stack of stuff to accomplish the next task. Even if I don't participate on this one Hutch, thanks for starting something and will follow this closely.

Oops, forgot to reply to this again.

Yeah, the mailing thing was a shot in the dark. I think building something for one's own shop is the better of the ideas, especially for the sake of people's busy schedules.