3D Printer Extruder Steps/mm

Bill Arnold

Staff member
For those with an Anet A8 3d printer, what is your EEPROM setting for Extruder Steps/mm?

I'm on Skynet3D-V2.3.2 and have been getting underextrusion. After trying to adjust for it in S3D and not having great success, I tried calibrating the steps by marking the filament and extruding a 100mm length. I think I'm getting somewhere but I'd like to know what your setting for that value is.

Thanks!

I had a problem very much like this a while ago. I was jacking up my steps and nothing was working. It was maddening.

Here's what worked for me. On the printer, Check the filament settings.

Control -> Filament

There is an option for 'mm3' , basically cubic millimeters. Make sure that is turned off.

I have my extruder steps for mm to be 95.

Thanks, Brent. I'll check the 'mm3' option tomorrow when I'm back in my shop.

In the meantime, based on other information I found today, I tried different settings for the extruder steps/mm. Mine was originally at 95 like yours. I changed it to several different settings, ranging from 190 to 600 and did test prints of a small square. I have it set at 200 now and get much better prints, but I'll still check the 'mm3' in the morning.

Yep, I'll bet that's what it is. That sounds pretty much like what I had experimented with. I have no idea how mine got set like that, but I think it might have been an update to the eeprom editor in Octoprint.

... Here's what worked for me. On the printer, Check the filament settings.

Control -> Filament

There is an option for 'mm3' , basically cubic millimeters. Make sure that is turned off.

I have my extruder steps for mm to be 95.

In the EEPROM editor page, the only reference to filament is the diameter in mm.

On the 'Control' page, there's no setting for filament - just the Extrude and Retract functions.

I assume my Extruder steps/mm was set to 95 on the upgrade to SkyNet3D 2.3.2. I tried numbers ranging up to 600, based on information I found online. With my steps/mm set to 300, I'm getting good prints.

It's the weirdest thing I have no idea how that got turned on, but I think it happened after I updated the EEProm Editor plugin. Darren hasn't gotten hit by it, so not sure what caused it.

At least it's nice to know how to properly calibrate the extruder though.