For you turners

larry merlau

ok i dont have a spinny thing yet but i do have the desire in the future, so i am trying to get the right space and DC for one. if you folks have seen my layout .skp file in a earlier post i was thinkun of puttin it next the double doors that open to the wood storage room. the door would open against it. i know those critters make alot of chips when you get them workin right. so my question is ,,would a port in the floor near the lathe be sufficient? and then the room needed for one would be? just rough idea would be helpful steve .A has a old oliver that is around 58" long and he said around 18" deep so in my mind i could put the tail towards the dbl doors and let the door open against when needed, while workin on it i would have the doors closed so would that be ok to do so in your opiion.. stu you dont count you do things in a shoe box already :D :D i need more room than that. thanks for the help.

larry....my little Jet VS Mini with an extention sprays a 6-7' wide area with curlies and saw dust........it's about 48" from the head stock to the end of the bed extention......You couldn't have too many or enough DC openings around it.

When I get a lot of wet curlies, I tend to sweep and scoop them up manually instead of sucking them into the DC. If I suck up too many long wet shavings, they tend to wad up in a ball around the impeller blades. I do use the DC with a Big Gulp scoop for sanding, and it works pretty well, except when I use the air hose to blow out the inside of a hollow form. That tends to shower the area pretty good. ;) I also use the Big Gulp when I'm turning dry wood. It doesn't catch a lot of the chips, but is does create an airflow and gathers most of the dust.

Actually Larry, the old Oliver measures 54" in length, 24" in width with the added electronic box.....sorry if I typed in the numbers wrong when I sent you the PM.

Attachments

• 100_1850.jpg
    100_1850.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 17
thanks guys, sounds like i might be better off sweeping ,,i remeber mr C sayin that wet shavings arent good on DC because of CLOGGIN. so the postion should work i think.. naw steve i just wrote it wrong close is good please dont beat me master:)

Larry, you got a coal shovel :D

Seriously, that is about the best thing I've found, after the shoveling, a broom.

For sanding sand such, on DC port is enough, for that it works well! :thumb:

Welcome to the abyss!! :headbang:

the shovels have it,,will have to see if i can talk steve A outa one he dont use them anymore:D well maybe he does for his corn burner...

I got 4 of them around here Larry, I buy them at Tractor supply. I'm surprised you don't have one to shovel all that snow away from your sidewalks.

Dad used to buy those shovels quite often, he had two strong sons to shovel all the corn, beans and barley from the grain bins we had. Dennis and I tried to convince him he needed sloped bottom bins, but he didn't want to lose the storage space those sloped floors would use up.....so we shoveled.....a lot, but then I was in a heck of a lot better shape than I am today.:huh:

Think I need to find something to shovel again.....:dunno: