Phase two of sausage making......something to cook em

Rob Keeble

Well i have been waiting 15 years to do this and this being the year my new home turns 150 YEARS OLD, I am celebrating big time come July1.

Now you already know about the sausage but next comes my traditional cultural way to cook em.

Nah none of this North American gas BBQ nonsense.

A good redneck would think that is heresy to use propane to cook meat. Lol. So being a first class card carrying member of the redneck ethnic group, i had to pull some strings and get a client of mine to organize a oil drum for me.

Then buy some steel and with my half acquired redneck welding skills rope my new Canadian Braai Master (braai being our word for BBQ) into helping me make what we call a barrel braai.

We being going at it in my recently assembled certified flat welding table.
Slightly over engineered ;) but good rednecks follow that motto " if in doubt build it stout " to the T.

They still a work in progress, hey keep in mind i am not retired, but we making headway.

Naturally a barrel don't last forever but our stand is made so we can remove the barrel and replace with the next one.

Here is picture progress

The barrel after cleaning out.jpg

Barrel cut in half.jpg

Barrel braai..jpg

Braai grid.jpg

Looks good. Will this be charcoal or wood fired ?
Peter your question is confusing to me. We start a fire with wood and throw on charcoal.
If we were to make fire with wood only we would be waiting for wood to burn down to coals.
Dont need flames for our version of bbq ;)

And for me, only lump coal hardwood charcoal as charcoal no compressed briquettes with chemical starter ingredients added.

Long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away I did something similar to that. But, I took the other half of the barrel and hinged it so it would close. With the lid closing and having the gaps that were there, due probably my lousy metal working skills, there was plenty of venting. And, you could smoke your meat to a point with it. What you have going there certainly looks good to me! :thumb: