Ever thought about how long you have been a member

Rob Keeble

While sitting sipping on some barley pop yesterday, it occurred to Larry and i just how long we been friends via this forum.

We never run out of conversation, but at same time are both very comfortable to sit together and just watch the birds and bees go about their business in silence.

We thought of one particular evening yesterday at Brent an Sharon's place, sitting on the hill with sun setting, looking at the vista of wild horses in the distance and sipping on Brent's great home brew.

Both agreed THAT time, event and weekend will be something we remember till our days end regardless of our state of memory.

We both talked about the great friends we have made and times and info shared via this place, just thought its worth taking stock now and then of what we got. Special place, special group of people.

I've been around forums since about 2003.

I've met a few forum members and even had some opportunity to meet a few people more than once.

There are a few online communities that meet face to face. One such place is the Vectric user group. Vectric, as well as some of the members sponsor either conferences or user group meets. I will be sponsoring a meet and greet in August.

This community, Family Woodworking, is in it's own right a very special community and it is because of the meets. I have had the pleasure of attending ONE, but as time and money permits plan to attend more.

It's a great thing and will serve to keep the community strong.

Well said, Rob. It's neat to look back at all the things (accomplishments, failures, questions, advice, births, passings, etc.) this forum has gone through in the past 10+ years. Of all ot them, I think the friendships are the best part. :thumb:

I'm not much of a conversationalist and in fact am for the most part quite shy and quiet. This forum, and meeting some of its members has been a very nice experience. Always made to feel welcomed. At the last gathering at Rennie"s I mentioned to someone that the forum has become more of a social gathering of friends both old and new who all have a woodworking interest. It's woodworking that brought everyone here but it's friendly enough that everyone can share the rest of their life's interests as well.

I have to say, that first time the 4 amigos stopped by, and the Burning wood are some of my favorite memories.

Can't imagine what it woudl be like without this place.

i jusst want to thank all of you who have given me a portion of your time and hospitality to see that the world isnt full of jerks:) and oh the great laughs, food, drink and most importantly the frriendship that you all have shared.. Thank you for being who you are!

I've been a member of FW for 10 years and was participating on other forums for probably 10 years prior to joining FW. This, by far, is the friendliest forum of all of them. Being off the beaten path, I've met only two members in person: Larry and Tom. Someday, I hope to make it to a gathering to meet more of you. Whatever may happen, I feel like I know many of you much as if we had met in person. Thanks to the assortment of folks available here, I have learned a lot!!!

Five years, since just after the quadruple bypass. I've learned some, and been inspired to keep making stuff, and had a generally good time here. I enjoyed the get-together at Jonathan's, and would like to attend another one or three if possible. I'm glad to be here.

Going on 11 years now. Wow. Came here on an invite from a fellow who is no longer a member. I hoped that I would find a forum home after being disappointed elsewhere. Glad I made the change!

I knew it was a good place, but following the passing of my wife in '09 I knew it was a great place. The outpouring of compassion was heartwarming to say the least. Then, as I drove cross country as a cathartic measure, I had the opportunity to meet with over 20 members. Many of you opened your homes to me. For all this I am eternally indebted.

I hope every one of you do as I do whenever i meet a woodworker that is not a member and invite them to the forum!

Going on eleven years. It's a great mix of people that have a wonderfully wide range of talents and it has been our pleasure to have met many of the family at the gatherings we have been able to attend.

Well it's coming up on ten years since I discovered FWW, on a vector from Art Mulder. It's a community of diverse individuals that started out with one common interest, but grew to a wide range of things and a network of friends that otherwise would not have met.
The tone and mutual respect and concern among the members is what I value most. The good work of the moderators is certainly partly responsible for this, but the attitude of the members is I think where most of the credit is due. There are lots of other forums for negativity and discord and, quite frankly I'm pulling away from those, as there's enough bad news filtering into my consciousness without going looking for it!

I check in here every day, though I might not post so often. Seeing other people's projects and advice is a great motivator at a time when my shop time and output is very limited.

As others have said, the gatherings and visits have been at the top of the list for me and I'm looking forward to many more down the road, incoming and outgoing.:wave:

Ten years. Don't remember how I got here but do remember I was looking for a new place, due to disrespect elsewhere. You are my bestest friends. Thank you.

I had to look it up on my profile, and it is already TEN! Years, I joined this forum thanks to Stu, and the warm welcome from everybody as well as their willingness to help hooked me. Later on, a crazy tour the wood and some gatherings made me feel like having a true family.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

IIRC, I landed here after encountering weirdness elsewhere ... :)

Speaking of weirdnesses and family visits (another thread) my profile says I've been here since Dec '06, check, and have been visited 720 times. Stort term memory is definitely shot.

Always enjoy viewing the excellent workmanship displayed on this forum. The ideas, tips, help all add up to a nice comfortable group. The commadarie is outstanding.
Looked up my membership and found me in another life. Haven't seen any post from a Dave Johnson.
Davidk

I have to say, that first time the 4 amigos stopped by, and the Burning wood are some of my favorite memories.

Can't imagine what it woudl be like without this place.

I am just waiting for Burning Wood II ("The fire burns hotter this time!"). I missed the first one, but I won't the next.

Many of you already know this, but Family Woodworking was born out of frustration and dissatisfaction with another woodworking forum. We actually started out on a small freeware forum Stu Ablett had set up for another group of friends. There were about 12 of us. Before long, we decided to open a real forum of our own, using the same vBulletin commercial software the other forum was using. I had the spare time, so I got the web hosting set up and software installed, and then established most of the different sub-forum categories we still have today. after that first night of setting things up, there was also a lot of help from Stu and Marty Walsh, using input from pretty much all other 9 founding members as well. Many of those founding members are still around, although a few have stopped dropping by for various reasons.

For the record, here's the first post ever on this forum. it's dated 10-26-2006, 12:42 AM, posted in the Mod and Admin area that's not visible to most of the members. Little did we know then how much fun it would end up being:

Let the Fun Begin

Here we go guys. Have fun! :p