Batter up!

Roger Tulk

This is the baseball bat i was talking about, in the hands of the young man I made it for. I was a little nervous about the bat, because of course I can see every flaw, real or imagined, but he was over the moon about it. He asked me to give it to him unfinished, so I did.

20170605_151943[1].jpg

The bat is a Spalding style maple bat, 33" long and exactly 32oz. I"ll never see it in use, but I'll see this man again as I shop at his store a few times a year.

Last edited:
Nice looking bat Roger. :thumb:

And as my SIL (who is a lawyer) says, "If you carry a bat in the trunk of your car, throw in a glove and ball too, your lawyer will thank you!"

Cool bat, something i have wanted to turn for years. Got a blank at LV and it got hijacked for something else. Need to get another.

Roger tell us about that store, looks like they sell wood.

..Roger tell us about that store, looks like they sell wood.

they do. I buy almost all my project wood there. It is called the Wood Shed, and is in Smithville, just west of the intersection of Sixteen Road and Port Davidson Road. Their native woods such as white oak, maple and pine are about half the price that Home Depot charges per board foot, and if they say it's 4/4, it really is. They dry and saw local ash, pine, white and red oak, maple, cherry, elm, walnut,. and sassafras, amongst others. They carry ipe, cocobolo, wenge, purpleheart, lacewood, zebrawood and a whole bunch more. I have a lovely piece of lacewood waiting to become a cheeseboard. When I went there yesterday I picked up an ash bat blank, a nice piece of sassafras to make some pepper mills out of, and a 12" bowl blank in ash. My wife wants a salad bowl.

Smithville is south of Grimsby. If you put the exact address in your GPS, you will probably miss it, as I did, but get to Port Davidson Road going south, turn right on sixteen road, and you will find it about200m along on the left.

The URL is http://woodshedlumber.com/

That is a fine looking bat and a great piece of turning! I can see why is loves it. Good going. And don't worry about the flaws that are real or imagined. I don't think it matters here at all! :thumb: