Just for the heck of it.

Roger Tulk

Remember that flawed baseball bat blank? I'm still going to make a bat for my grandson with it, but I have another blank for my other grandson. So, what to do with the remaining wood? I made myself this nice little mallet for things I don't want to dent, and for bopping my niece when she bugs me.

20170610_200510[1].jpg

The shellac is drying still in the picture.

Making stuff on the lathe is a bit like scratching an itch for me just now.

My wife works for the Probation and Parole service, and when I showed her the mallet, she told me an interesting story. Earlier this year, they had a client who hd been arrested because he had a fishing club in the area behind the seats of his truck. He was charged with, and convicted of, having an offensive weapon dangerous to the public good. Now he's doing probation. The fact that it was a fishing club, used for fishing, that he had casually tossed into the back of his cab, didn't help. It was accessible to him without leaving his seat. That's all she told me, so don't ask. I will be careful to keep this mallet at home.

Nice looking mallet, Roger! I use similar ones in my shop all the time. Quite useful. That's a funny story about the poor guy with the fishing club. Then again he may have run off at the mouth, which is not a good idea with the police no matter where you are. Happy bonking!