plastic DC pipe Fix?

larry merlau

ok i have a fitting that is made for scd 30 S&D pipe that is just a tad to big to fit the hub of a scd 40 fittun.. my question is do any of you folks got some ideas of how i could take the larger hub up or increse its ID size to fit the smaller bushing.. would make things much simpler to go from 6 to 4' SD pipe for hook up. thought of a drill with a sanding drum also if had lathe i could possibly take the smaller one down a schoosh but mounting a 6" 90? wouldnt be possible. i think making the large hub bigger is my best bet.. what ya think and how?

Not sure how many you have to do but I just used 80 grit and sanded the pipe down. Used a light touch and rotated as I went kinda ball-parking it till I got close. Finished with 220 and got a good fit. If I had missed by a bit, some HVAC tape would confirm a good seal, I got lucky and a slip fit is fine.

Not sure how many you have to do but I just used 80 grit and sanded the pipe down. Used a light touch and rotated as I went kinda ball-parking it till I got close. Finished with 220 and got a good fit. If I had missed by a bit, some HVAC tape would confirm a good seal, I got lucky and a slip fit is fine.

did you sand the hub or the fitin? it appears to very minaml amunt havnt measured it yet but looked at it and its like a 5/16 bolt in a 1/4" nut almost but not quite. i gt one chance at this and have 12 to do.. cuz once there together glued up its over never to be seen again

thanks shawn,, that enlightened this ole noggen of mine,, i thinki can heat the hub i have and make the adapter fit it:rolleyes: and once it cools back it might come out and if it doenst well its tight enuff huh?

thanks shawn,, that enlightened this ole noggen of mine,, i thinki can heat the hub i have and make the adapter fit it:rolleyes: and once it cools back it might come out and if it doenst well its tight enuff huh?

Just for everyone's safety, I feel I should post the following from Bill's Site.

Caution
Before getting started you need to know that there is a potential of letting off some very dangerous dioxins with other toxic and potentially cancer causing gasses, so you must work in a well ventilated area and should wear a good respirator. Moreover, the result will not be as strong as it was before you made your changes.

Rob Robertsen shared the following note: "The greatest danger comes from vinyl chloride, a primary component of polyvinylchloride (PVC) and an odorless gas which could be released using this process. Vinyl Chloride is a toxic carcinogen which has been proven to cause angiosarcoma, a deadly primary liver cancer. Use a good respirator and adequate ventilation to protect yourself from this toxin."

did you sand the hub or the fitin? it appears to very minaml amunt havnt measured it yet but looked at it and its like a 5/16 bolt in a 1/4" nut almost but not quite. i gt one chance at this and have 12 to do.. cuz once there together glued up its over never to be seen again

I sanded the pipe to slip into the fitting. I don't know if I could get lucky 12 times but as you say; it was just a little bit that had to be removed. The Bill Pentz page listed does talk about adjusting PVC, etc. with heat. Pretty informative.