Need some rough lumber?

It's serious. I looked at the comments and people actually liked it.

I kind of like having a stack of pallets out back, but I never thought about really making something from them.

Actually I was driving around the other day looking for some pallets for a compost bin.

I drove around behind Lowes and they have hoards of pallets.

I asked the guy driving the fork truck if I could grab a few.

He said NO - the store is getting money for them now.

GREED - the only answer I can come up with.
The pallets don't cost them a dime in any way shape or form.
It would cost them to dispose of them, so giving them away would actually save they money.

NO - this is NOT a joke - it is for real.

Pallets a FREE for anybody that is wondering - just NOT at the borg.

As to making things - YES, YES.
I have been helping a guy that sells rustic chalk boards that are in the shape of nautical items and framed in rough pallet wood.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the websites that offer to get you all types of government forms for a small fee - all of which are available on the gov website for free.

Well a couple of weekends ago when we burnt out our barrels for the bbqs we made, i now realize we burnt over 120 dollars of lumber according to home depot lol. Around here loads of places just put pallets out for the taking. Cheap firewood in my opinion. Lol

I would disagree on them being free. They are figured into the cost of the products you buy, in the same way any other packaging is. Some pallets places will ask for back, or if you take them with the products on them, you get charged for them (BTDT, 1000lbs of seasonings, 80 quart mixer). I would have liked the oak out of the mixer one.
We used to see some trucks driving around, with pallets piled way above the cab of the truck. Some places would pay a bit of money for choice pallets, and the collectors of them would use them to heat their home or shops. However with the upturn of things like Anna White and "crafty home remodeling trends", the draw for recycling them into stuff has gone up. So I am not surprised they are monetizing them.