Leo first laser engraving

Leo Voisine

Well,

I had a heck of a time getting the machine up and running.

Moral of the story - A 220 machine is not happy with 110

a - very first thing engraved.jpg

This may not look like much - but it's a milestone to me.

I need exhaust hookup, but I have a functioning Laser machine in my shop.

might not look like much just now Leo but you know what they say " From little Acorns"

Looking forward to following your journey as you progress

Yahoo!!! :bliss:

Glad you got it up and going! When I first plugged mine in I hadn't unboxed the transformer they sent yet so I only hooked it up to 110. The transformers in these are auto voltage sensing so that part works but the power supply not so much. Also the Z adjust for my table is a 220 motor so it didn't work either. I did some more research and reading and found the transformer and will just use that until I run a dedicated circuit for it!

From your RDWorks post: 220 is just two hot lines and a ground. Under most circumstances you should read ~110 from each hot post to ground. There are exceptions but uncommon in residential applications where there can be a 'wild leg' that is higher than 110 but lower than 220 to ground but that's a lesson for another day. Today is play with the laser day! :D

If ever I can help with electrical wiring I'm happy to. I don't do much soldering on boards and transistors but when it comes to electric motors, house wiring, control wiring, and general electrical theory my decades in HVAC troubleshooting can come in handy.

Have fun!!

Great milestone Leo now i am looking forward to seeing what you get done with both cnc and laser in combination on a project.

Do you have rotary capability on the laser too. Those legs of yours on the cnc would be really super cool with a touch of laser engraving in certain areas to highlight the routing.

Thanks Robert - I am usually good with electrical wiring, but this was simply a STUPID on my part.

It was obvious to me when I went in to fix it.

I was clearly NOT thinking when I installed the receptical.

ROB - YES - I did get a rotary. YES - I WILL do pen engraving eventually

Last edited:
Thanks Robert - I am usually good with electrical wiring, but this was simply a STUPID on my part.

That is a daily occurrence for me so never fear! I used to tell my employees the person that makes no mistakes has never done anything.

I'm just glad you got to the bottom of it and you're fired up! :-D

My laser is still on a scrap of plywood on my DeWalt table saw stand, the air assist pump is sitting on the bench and my chiller is on the floor beside it. I had grand ideas of building a stand with wheels and that will happen but I had to start making stuff since the store was selling it as fast as I made it! I've ordered from hardwood from Ocooch and pieces and parts from Amazon to make earrings and jewelry as I've had several requests for pieces from the boutique where I sell stuff! I'm ready to see your pen work! I will probably do some pencils for the back to school kids!