Laser Runabout

Leo Voisine

My friend is retiring and I wanted to give him a little something.

He was adamant about nobody doing anything for him.

I told him I was going to do something small from me to him.

We worked side by side for 5 years on several high level projects and solved many manufacturing issues. We traveled together and investigated several machines. We went to the Chicago Machine tool show and went out on the Navy pier on the MAD DOG jet boat ride and got soaked.

We were know as those two guys on the muppets that sat up in the balcony.

He grew up around boats just like I did. We had many similar interests.

Now he is retiring and I wanted my first official laser project to be for him.

The first thing he wants to do in retirement is to build a 16' runabout. So I thought it fitting to make one for him.

runabout-finished.jpg

I don't have exhaust hooked up yet, this smoked up my shop a bit.

Nice job Leo!

I still don't have mine exhausted outside BUT I also have no air conditioning so I always open both overhead doors of my 30x40 shop with a 3' shop fan blowing in the door. I also have a small squirrel cage pointing at the laser to diffuse any smoke that isn't cleared by the air assist. If I'm cutting wood I turn on the extraction fan for my Plasma table and it pulls out enough to not be a bother. I'll definitely have to have a plan in place before winter including a some climate control.

Nice looking gift Leo, good to see something coming off of the laser. I've been tempted to get a laser, but I think I'm in the same boat as you two, as in where to put it where it's in a controlled environment. I've been thinking about building an "R&D" room in my shop for such projects/tools.

I am some time off - but I want to get a benchtop CNC router from this same company for no more reason than to set it up tweak it in and then resell it for a profit. Where would I put it? I don't know. There needs to be a LOT of water to pass under the bridge before that happens. Definitely a retirement thing.