House extension

Here in England houses are built from bricks. Timber built houses are almost unknown apart from some builders using a timber frame with bricks as the outer skin.

Thing is, I want to put a 30' long and 6' wide single storey extension along the side of my house with a lean-to roof. I've had a couple of quotes from building companies to do the job in the traditional way; deep footings, concrete blocks on the inside wall, bricks on the outside, and a timber framed tiled roof.

How feasible would it be to do it myself out of timber? I know that in the USA a lot of houses are wooden; is it a job for a pro construction company or is it within the abilities of a good woodworker?

Anyone know of any websites or books which could help me?

The extension would be for a study, bathroom, and a utility room connected to the kitchen at the rear.

It all looks easy on 'This Old House' but what problems am I going to run into?

Cheers
Brad

Brad, I don't have any specific suggestions for books or other references, but I would think an addition like you're thinking of is well within the abilities of a good woodworker. Heck, there's a fair amount of house construction done by not-so-good woodworkers, so if you can follow reasonable instructions, I have no doubt you could do it. Especially after having seen examples of your fine work.

I'd suggest that you research and copy what builders in your area use for foundations though, as those tend to vary by region and geologic conditions. Although they're mostly unseen, the foundation is the...um...er...foundation upon which the rest of the structure is built. :p

I'm sure others here will offer suggestions for good books, websites, or videos on the subject. All we'll require are pictures as the project progresses. :)

I'd say you can do the stick framing for sure, it is not hard to learn at all.

but, like Matt says, check what the local council allows, they could bugger up your plans!

Perhaps you could get a contractor to dig and build your foundation, might make things a lot easier and fit the code better?

Give it a go, you will never find out unless you try! :thumb:

brad framing with sticks is fast and easy, stick framed walls are regularly covered in brick here if you choose to? you`ll just need to decide before you pour the foundation if you want brick? `cause a "brick ledge" is poured too.
there`s quite a few positive aspects to stick framing such as the ability to run electric-n-plumbing in the wall cavitys, and insulation! you`ve got good advice on footers-n-permits....if there`s anything i can help with holler....tod

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to avoid facing with brick as that's a job I can't do myself. (My only effort at bricklaying was the world's worst barbeque - and that took 2 days!)

I was thinking of maybe making pre-fabricated panels from ply & lumber at the shop, taking them home, bolting them together and facing the outside with siding or shingles. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
Brad

duncan, take the time to write marty and ask for a copy of the first segment of birth of a shop it`s about a gizillion meg but worth the read.....the pictures are no longer on the creek so getting a copy from marty is about the only way to see the pictures with text..tod