Rigid table saw

Charlie and Charley...check out the saw on the Grizzly site. It's not a universal motor. Looks like a good ol' TEFC induction motor to me. They don't say either way in the specs, but there's no way Shiraz would put out a semi-cabinet saw with a universal motor. ;)

Motor: http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg1000/g/g0771z_det5-7d98cfcd0e129a3a71ce1a81e2e106bb.jpg

Saw Page: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw-with-T-Shaped-Fence/G0771Z

The description reads.

Motor: 2 HP, 120V/240V, prewired 120V, single-phase, 60 Hz
Amps: 15A at 120V, 7.5A at 240V

I haven't seen to many universal motors with this description.

Vaughn, tilt your head to the left and have another look at that motor photo ... especially the sticker over on the right end.

INDUCTION MOTOR :thumb:

The description reads.

Motor: 2 HP, 120V/240V, prewired 120V, single-phase, 60 Hz
Amps: 15A at 120V, 7.5A at 240V

I haven't seen to many universal motors with this description.

Yup!

Vaughn, tilt your head to the left and have another look at that motor photo ... especially the sticker over on the right end.

INDUCTION MOTOR :thumb:

Ow! My neck! :rofl: (Good catch, Kerry.) ;)

When all else fails read the directions. States TEFC 120v induction motor. Not to smart of me not to see that in the first place. Thanks guys for all the info. This is probably the saw I will get. Much larger cast iron table and wings and maybe a little more power. Not to far from Grizzly in Springfield so that sure saves on freight. Have talked LOML into a new saw she just doesn't know which one. Hope she likes the off white as opposed to orange.
David

Quality is long remembered after a cheap price is forgotten. And the table saw is, at least in my shop the most used machine. Go with a full blown cabinet saw if you can. it is not going to wear out and you will use it for the rest of your life. And a table saw is only as good as the rip fence on it. I have a General 350 saw with a 52 in fence on it. I bought the best I could 25 years ago and never looked back. But now I am in the twilight of years and on a fixed income. I wish I had the money to buy a saw Stop or that I could even barrow the money. I can barrow the money but can't pay it back. It is a lot but one ops offsets the price. I have Medicare and another plan so an ops doesn't cost out of pocket or lost money do to lost work. It also has a lot of other features like designed for dust collection and snap in and out riving knife and so on.

I am talking from a twilight year perspective and the perspective of the problems that come with it and after 50 years of woodworking I am taking the time to write and tell you what experience has tough me. And experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

After a lot of looking and research I bit the bullet and headed to Grizzly in Springfield. Picked up a Polar series GO833P. Like the features and price has dust collection top and bottom. Have to rewire to 110v as don't have that in my shop. Maybe later. Now the problem getting out of p\u and into shop. Also getting old saw out and reconfigure the shop space. Love problems like this.
Be awhile before production but will keep you posted. Now I'm out of business I'll probably get a few orders.
David