Looking for advice on a good wood burning tool set.

Looking to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of everyone on this question. I work at my uncles custom cabinet shop and a customer is requesting something we have never done before. They wood like a custom art design burned into one of the pieces we are making for them. While we haven't ever done nothing like this before we never shy away from a request, only thing is we don't have the tools to do this.

I have been asked to research and find a tool for the job. I ran across this best wood burning tools guide and it seems pretty comprehensive in that the different models range from hobby level to professional level. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of the higher brands on that list (True Art and Razertip). Mainly looking to see how durable they are and if they will hold up in a dusty cabinet shop when working with the tool. Pretty pricey piece of equipment to have it give out because of a dusty shop.

If you have other suggestions I'm all ears as well. The piece is fairly detailed and artistic so I do think we need the wire tip style. I suppose we could always keep it stored and use it only when there isn't a bunch of sanding and sawing gone on.

All ears!

Last edited:
Razertip has good reviews from the woodturners who embellish their turnings. They talk about how hot the handpick gets when using it for long sessions and heat recovery times so their is minimal waiting for the tip to regain enough heat for the next burn. Hope that helps. As for the dust issue, keeping things clean when using it and storing it in a cleaner environment can't hurt. Nothing special. Just common sense.

FWIW, Molly Winton features woodturning in her work and has for years. Font of knowledge when it comes to woodturning tools. Suggest you Google her. She is a nice lady and may even respond to direct questions. Hope that helps.

I've had a Detail Master III single burner for a long time and it works well for the limited purpose of signing my work. When mine breaks, I will get one of the newer units with readily available parts/tips. Any dust that gets on the tip will burn right off, so dust shouldn't be a problem. It takes some skill and experience to produce pyrographic art that doesn't look amateurish. Perhaps laser engraving is the way to go, or farm the piece out to a professional wood burner.

Carol - really appreciate the resources as well as the tips!

Ted - Thanks for your insight as well, laser engraving definitely sounds promising!

Edit: Forgot to thank Darren as well! :wave: