Solar Eclipse

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone gearing up to watch the eclipse on Monday?

My office had a big stack of glasses, 2 per member, to take today.

Supposed to be partly cloudy at this point, but may clear up in time for it. I think they said they are expecting about 1 million folks to come into the area to be in the 100% totality eclipse area. I'm off that day, but I think it was expected to be 99.98% around my house. They say that you truly wouldn't experience the full effect, so may make the trek north 20 miles to see if they are right, otherwise I'll need to live another 100 years apparently to see it again.

Hearing rumors that they may be shutting down the highways, but not seeing any credible information regarding that yet.

I'm thinking on it but that is as far as I have gotten. After tomorrow I might be in the hospital getting my right knee fixed. Don't know yet. Danged right kneecap sticks out over 1/2" more than the left one. I figger that ain't good but what do I know? We shall see what we shall see. If I am home I will find me some glasses and watch it. I like that kind of stuff. I subscribe to Space.com's newsletter.

We're only going to get about 78% totality here. So far I've not make any plans or gathered any viewing gear, but it still may happen.

We're sitting right in the middle of the path of the total eclipse.. local bank is offering glasses for $2 a pair, and if they have any left will pick up some tomorrow for the wife, son and me... otherwise I'll just sit on the front porch and watch it get dark at noon....

If you've seen one eclipse, you've seen them all. :D:D

We should get to 90%. I'll go out and see it. Probably with a welding helmet. Probably not an advisable method but it worked for me 30 some years ago when I say my first eclipse so I'm guessing I'll be fine. I'm not going to be writing a novel while staring at it. :)

If we see some official eclipse glasses in our travels we might pick up a couple of pair, otherwise it's welding helmets with shade 13 lenses. If that doesn't work the TV will have to do.

I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up my brother and try to claim a camping spot in the hills south of Casper, WY. It will "only" be a 10-hour drive each way. Hey, that's just an hour more than it took to get to Burning Wood a few years ago ... but with a good number of dirt road miles thrown in.

The 2024 eclipse will go over the homes of my Dad and a few siblings, in Arkansas. Totality will be almost twice as long as this year's, so I shouldn't mind travelling twice as far ... right?

If I recall, you had some pretty spectacular pics taken through some trees a few years back.

That was at night when I wasn't working. This one is during a busy time on a workday. I may get a chance to go outside and take a peek, but I won't be able to spend any appreciable time trying to photograph it.

I share an office with Angela, a wonderful Navajo lady. I wasn't aware of it until yesterday, but many Navajo people adhere to ancient beliefs about eclipses. The town of Gallup (where she lives) is situated on the edge of the Navajo Nation. The town's population is predominantly Navajo. Many businesses and all the public schools will be closed on Monday out of respect to these beliefs. I've grown up around and been exposed to several Native American cultures, but I'd not heard of this until yesterday.

Interestingly, as a Christian, Angela does not follow in this belief, although her mother and several of her siblings do. (They follow the more traditional Native American beliefs.) Stuff like this fascinates me.

http://www.12news.com/news/local/arizona/navajo-beliefs-surrounding-the-eclipse-explained/465194908

I like the Navajo philosophy on their artwork... don't know if it's actually true, but heard once that they never do a perfect pattern... there is always an error in the pattern.... to have a perfect pattern was an affront to their gods.... I use the same story in my wood turnings if some one points out a tool mark or something not perfect....

You know what your phone is good for taking selfies including videos with the eclipse over your shoulder you can watch it on your phone you think I might be able to sell that idea make the money those guys are making off those glasses?

Watching an eclipse can be bad for your health (and scary to animals). One of my first dates with Jenny was to fly to Virginia Beach in early 1970 for a total eclipse. Later that year we got married. The side effects of an eclipse can be amazing.

If you are in a partial area, consider going to a total eclipse area - it is an amazing show - and be sure to observe the wildlife.