Fake slate

Hi all, I'm a new guy here and have a question. Has anyone here ever used any of the fake slate roofing products? I live in an 80 year old house in Bucks county PA that originally had a slate roof. I'm currently (and very slowly) bringing the house back to what it looked like in the 20's. There is no way that real slate will be put back (cost, weight, skill). So, any and all input would be appreciated.

keith, there`s at least 4 products that "look" like slate that i know of....some of light weight concrete, others of a rubberized mixture....which products are you looking at?

I was looking at the rubberized stuff at Home Despot (and now I forget the name.) I also know that TOH did a project with one of the rubberized products. If you have experience with the cement board products, I'd like to here your take.

I guess what I really want to know is:
1. Is it easy to install? I would rank three tab asphalt shingles as very easy.
2. Does it really have good impact ratings? The claims seem overstated.
3. Will it last 50 years? Are you having any problems?
4. And most importantly, do you like the result?

I'm looking for someone who has used the products, not just a rehash of the manufacture claims.

Keith, I checked into a product called authentic roof when I built my house last year. It's one of the rubberized products.

The installation was very similar to putting on a standard three tab. It also looked very similar to slate. If you can put on a three tab you can install this shingle.

I can't comment of longevity or impact claims.

I did look at a couple of housed that had it, from the ground it looks just like slate.

However, I didn't use it . It was going to cost 300.00 a square. It would have cost me around 15 grand just for the shingles. I realize that if you are replacing a real slate roof this is more cost effective. I almost fell over when the supplier gave me the price.

I went with a 40 year architectural for a cost of around 3900. I did the installation.

keith, i have not used the rubberized products so have no experience. 10-12 yrs ago i put some of the fiber reinforced "lightweight" concrete look-a-likes on for a client...no fasteners through the product the shear mass held the tiles in place, each one interlocked with the previous in a course...soldered flashing was required as well as a wet saw for cutting. the cap was held in place with stainless clips...installation was straight forward but very time consuming due to the wet saw and inability to "stock" the roof...framing for the increased load is manditory with the system i used, if my memory serves 2x12`s 16oc with 1" western red cear decking then 30# felt before the stainless cleats....certainly not cheap but undoubtably a well constructed roof....
my house has good architectural shingles on it!

Hi Keith. When we built in 2002, I had a product from Malarkey Roofing, of Portland Or. installed. Whether they offer a slate appearance is up to the viewer. I selected a Siena color and the roof looks like new cedar shakes, and will continue to do so. The legacy line, their best, holds the best ratings in fire(class A), wind(110 MPH), and impact(level 4) resistance. Our neighbor has had wind damage, and our roof didn't. It does carry a 50 year warranty.

After discussing the roof with my insurance company, USAA, I received a 30% reduction in my home owners insurance. The only thing I had to give up was claims for cosmetic damage.