Blue Electrical Boxes - Screw size and type

Pete Simmons

Have a couple of lights to go onto blue plastic electrical boxes. Lights are a little more heavy than I like.

What kinda and size of screws to attach plates to the Blue Electrical box?

I see a lot of drywall screws being used. I do not like that.

6-32 or 8/32 both seam to fit like they might work. With 6 being thin on thread and 8 maybe large enough to crack the plastic.

Several references I found warn against using anything but a 6-32 machine screw; i.e., NO drywall screws, etc. There are many options for extended-length 6-32 screws.

Not so sure the blue electrical box is the best choice to hang a heavy object from.

Fan boxes are designed for a heavier load.

If you are saying the lights are heavier than you would like - I don't know how many pounds that means, but (2) 6-32 screws into a plastic box does not sound real good to me.

I do not recommend deviating from the design intent of the box, but I do "suggest" considering a more secure mounting box to hold up a "heavier than you would like" electrical fixture.

Some of the mounting devices actually secure into studs and the fixture is secured to the cross member. Look into some better options if you are concerned about the weight. It's not worth saving a few cents.

Cost wise - it's really only pennies. At the end of the day, you will sleep better.

Well - this is just MY take on it.

Not so sure the blue electrical box is the best choice to hang a heavy object from.

Fan boxes are designed for a heavier load.

If you are saying the lights are heavier than you would like - I don't know how many pounds that means, but (2) 6-32 screws into a plastic box does not sound real good to me.

I do not recommend deviating from the design intent of the box, but I do "suggest" considering a more secure mounting box to hold up a "heavier than you would like" electrical fixture.

Some of the mounting devices actually secure into studs and the fixture is secured to the cross member. Look into some better options if you are concerned about the weight. It's not worth saving a few cents.

Cost wise - it's really only pennies. At the end of the day, you will sleep better.

Well - this is just MY take on it.

Leo - Totally agree with you. I typically would make something such as this capable of holding 500 pounds.

The blue boxes are light weight boxes and hold up to 6 pound fixtures. There are better plastic boxes and Wayne is correct the round box(8-32 screw) is what you want to hold a light fixture. the rectangular boxes are for devices and receptacles(6-32 screw). If you are hanging a chandelier of some sort I would use a steel box with a metal joist hanger, there are several kind available, or a fan box and hanger assembly made for old work. (putting it in after the drywall) they wedge themselves between the joists and lock in solid.