Couple of quick projects for the Etsy store

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Been working on a few items to get inventory and selection up for the holidays as well as some non holiday items. Some, I'm afraid, might not get any further than the burn pile :(. A couple of keepsake boxes I was working on decided that they would not stay flat. Still playing with them, but the prognosis is poor.

Two items that made it through the finish process are pictured below. The mitered frames were made from reclaimed mahogany. Now, where does one find reclaimed mahogany? Well, glad you asked. Actually, a friend of mine brought this back from his parent's home in Edmonton, Canada. His dad, long ago, worked in a plant making glulam beams and this material came in as stickers between wood to be used for the beams. Not much of it, but he recognized it to be better wood and took it home. There it stayed in his garage for about 30 years. Not having found a use in all that time he gave it to his son who offered it to me. I continued the tradition by storing it in my garage for about 5 years. :rofl: It has a few small holes once occupied by staples. That's called character. :D

DSC_0056_edited.jpgDSC_0057_edited.jpgDSC_0058_edited.jpg

The pet urn started out as a full sized people version until I suffered some serious blow out in the dovetail jig. My fault - the backer board was inadequate and I failed to use one on the front as well. Rather than lose the nice maple I simply cut off the offending dovetails and went to plan 'B' - a smaller version. It has both the normal storage area as well as a place to store mementos like a collar, tags, pictures, etc. Last thing to add to the top is a couple of small magnets to hold the top shut.

DSC_0049.jpgDSC_0053.jpgDSC_0058.jpgDSC_00541.jpg

If I may...Rennie, I like the extra storage area in that urn, nice idea. Having just completed an urn for my BIL's ashes, and now need to make one, possibly two, for his pet's ashes, I shall have to nick that feature.;)
I see that you are fairly close by, perhaps we shall meet one day. ..bill..

If I may...Rennie, I like the extra storage area in that urn, nice idea. Having just completed an urn for my BIL's ashes, and now need to make one, possibly two, for his pet's ashes, I shall have to nick that feature.;)
I see that you are fairly close by, perhaps we shall meet one day. ..bill..

You may poach from me any time - i'm honored!
How close are you? You are welcome to stop by any time you wish.