Jimmy Clewes Class Projects

Steve Kniffen

Aug 30-Sept 3, WoodworldTX in Dallas hosted Jimmy Clewes teaching a variety of projects. I was fortunate enough to attend his Friday session. I signed up because I wanted to learn to turn the tri-cornered box and I did learn to do that. That was just a morning project, though. He asked what we wanted to do in the afternoon and showed us a variety of options. We chose to turn a flask or canteen. This was one of the most fun projects I have ever turned. I used just about every turning skill I had and every tool in my bag. It involved turning between centers, expansion and contraction chuck mounts, jam chucking, hollowing, and precision measuring and marking.

The tri-corner box is made from a block of mahogany. The lid is Douglas fir. It's about 3.5" high and in diameter. It's finished with Danish oil.

The flask is made from a block of cherry with a maple insert and stopper. The cherry block started as 7"x5"x3". Finished dimensions, including stopper, are 7" x 4.5" x 2.5". I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told it will hold water. The maple insert is friction fit into the hollowing hole.

If you haven't seen Jimmy Clewes turn, either in person or on videos, I strongly recommend you look him up. He is a wild man but an excellent instructor. WoodworldTX has a great classroom facility and were wonderful hosts. I'm already looking forward to when Jimmy comes back next year.

Comments welcomd.Tricorn02.jpgFlask01.jpg

Good looking, especially the flask. I have turned several of the 3 corner boxes and they are fun. And sell relatively well. Good job and it sounds like you had a lot of fun!

Thanks for the comments. I had a blast in the class. He's very personable and professional. He is an outstanding instructor. I look forward to the next class.