A cabinet for LOML

Al Navas

Thanks for looking!

LOML needed a 48-inch cabinet and lots of drawer space. So, I designed something quickly to fulfill the need :D . Two banks of three drawers, 48 inches wide, 36-1/2 inches tall, 24 inches deep.

1. The design concept (done in eCabinet Systems software as a learning project): Not shown in this "sketch" is the old countertop we re-used, as it was still in good shape:

Cabinetdesignconcept.jpg

And some photos of the work-in-progress:

2. I used full-extension slides:

Full-extensionslides.jpg

3. Home-made jigs to properly center the false drawer fronts:

Homemadejigtoinstalldrawerfronts.jpg

4. Corner blocks on the top, and a peek at the 2 X 4s used to mount the slides:

Cornerblocsandslidemounts.jpg

And now for the completed project:

5. I used a door edge profile bit to decorate the drawer edges:

Draweredgeprofile.jpg

6. The finished cabinet, loaded with whatever LOML wanted to put in it :thumb: :

Fromleftwithdrawersopen.jpg

This was a fun project. Finished with Minwax Special Walnut stain, two coats of Target Coatings' waterborne shellac, and four coats of Target's Super Clear waterborne polyurethane. Finally, buffed with 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper.

Al, you must have one very lucky woman in your life! What a fantastic cabinet (I know, because I've seen it in person).

Thanks for all your hard work, time, and precision. I'm really pleased with all the new-found space. Now, I just need one for my turning area . . .:D :D :D

Do you know that I love woodworking with you?

Sandy

Al,

Very Nice :thumb: I like the finish!

How did you end up attaching the false fronts to the drawers? Did you glue them, or are they held on with the screws for the handles?

Thanks, all! Especially to Sandy, LOML and the best friend anyone could wish for!!!! :thumb: :D :)

Glenn, she absolutely loves it, and already has it just about full with stuff that used to sit ON the old, beat-up cabinet. I think we paid all of $2 for the old one :D .

Sean, I attached the drawer fronts from inside the drawer boxes, one screw on each corner. Then finished drilling the holes for the knobs, and installed the knobs. This is the best way to do it, as the drawer fronts will stay properly aligned when done this way.

Stuart, I was shooting for the more traditional, or classic, look. Sandy did not want anything too wild in the shop, especially on HER half of the shop :rofl: :rofl: .

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Thank-you, Shaz!

Well, it is not done until it's done - added the top, once I remembered how to do it in eCabinet Systems :rolleyes: . I also modified the sides in this rendering, to make them even with the bottom of the face frame, as built. All for the record ;) :

ShopcabinetforLOMLwithtopon-TGbits.jpg

Last edited: