New Laser Project

Tom Baugues

So I've discovered that I have a lot to learn about how to use a laser but it is slowly coming to me. Here is a small sign I made to hang on my shop wall. Still need to tweek a few things but overall ok.
IMG_4346 (Medium).jpgIMG_4343 (Medium).jpgIMG_4345 (Medium).jpgIMG_4347.jpg

Very nice Tom! Now that I've got a little more room in the shop, I'm working on getting my CNC back in good working shape. Truth is I never really finished it with a good enclosure for the control board, etc...

Next is to get my little laser thing working again. Need to have all of these goobers working at the same time someday.

Lovely clean result Tom.

Can I ask what software you use to create the image and control the machine? Was it the stuff supplied with the machine. I am looking for a solution just like this.

Lovely clean result Tom.

Can I ask what software you use to create the image and control the machine? Was it the stuff supplied with the machine. I am looking for a solution just like this.

Ian, I'm using software called "T2" to run the laser. The software that comes with the laser is nearly useless or so I'm told so I never even loaded it to try. T2 works very well and is user friendly. I'm also learning how to do the file editing in software called "AutoSketch". Learning new software is my biggest hill to climb. These little lasers can do a lot of neat things if you know how to tell the software what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I would suspect you have some good laser safety glasses. If not get some.

Pete, do you have a source for good quality goggles? The ones that came with the laser are not the best as I can feel my eyes strain when the laser is running. I try not to watch it while it is on but I do need to see what's going on.

Do not know of any source of laser safe glasses.

It is my understanding that plexiglas is a very good barrier for a laser in the CO2 frequency range. Of course I maybe be wrong.

In the short term I would be wearing thick plastic safety glasses until I could find out better information on eye protection.

My laser (Epilog Mini-30 30 watt co2 laser) was covered. When the plexiglas top was lifted the laser would not fire.

Pete, do you have a source for good quality goggles? The ones that came with the laser are not the best as I can feel my eyes strain when the laser is running. I try not to watch it while it is on but I do need to see what's going on.

I've got a couple of pairs, the set that came with my laser works well, also ordered a sheet of the acrylic to make a cover for mine... https://jtechphotonics.com/?product_cat=safety-gear

Hi Tom, where did you get the laser, sign looks great, thanks for your time
Kenny, It is a 2.5W laser unit from a China company called Banggood. It took about 5 weeks to get here. You've heard the term..."slow boat from China"...well that's how it is shipped. LOL :rofl: As long as your not in a hurry it is a nice little laser unit capable of doing simple light work.

Hi Jay, I am using DXF files. It will handle a few other file types but I have not experimented with them yet. Right now I'm learning to use a program called AutoSketch. It works well as long as you know how to use it. I know many people do use CorelDraw. Some others use Inkscape. All of them are new to me so using any of them involves a learning curve which I'm experiencing right now. I'm getting better the more I use it though.
As is the case with anything else....time is the issue for me. Work, plus....I have too many different hobbies I guess. I play with the laser one evening, then the organ the next , then the lathe the next, then flat woodworking the next, then an evening of yard work and other honey do items, then before you know it the whole week is gone. One of these days..........I hope to slow down and spend all day doing whatever I want.
I suppose I need to download Corel and see how I would like using it.

Corel was pretty easy for me to get started with there are some really good videos by Doug Green he dose a great job of explaining how to use coreldraw for laser work. I think you will find it a lot more useful for the laser than cad program. Student versions will work just fine and are pretty cheep. I paid $80 for mine when it came out. No need for the full blown package. There are a LOT of how to videos for CorelDraw for laser