Can you buff a plastic eyeglass lens??

ken alcott

My wife wanted me to try and remove scratches from her eyeglasses.

It is a plastic lens. Can you even buff a plastic lens to remove a scratch and if so how would you do it?

Thanks.

Ken

Sure you can with the right compound and buffing wheel. But your going to remove and/or reshape plastic and that could change the shape of the lens and ruin it. I don't know how much you can do before you mess them up but I would be very careful.

FWIW I have been wanting to try that on safety glassed and/or sunglasses. Nothing to loose there.

Ken....I would suspect that you'd have to find the right buffing speed, the right amount of "touch" ....too much friction...too much heat.........and as noted above the right buffing compound and buff material.

Call the place where she bought them. Mine come with a free replacement warranty, they dont make money on me.:D I go thru atleast three pairs a year.

Speaking as the son of an eye-doc, I'll tell you that he would ask; are they coated lenses? If so, don't go there. If not, why not (just kidding, that's the old man talking). In all seriousness, it would be very if-ey that you would end up better off. If you want to try, "Novus" makes plastic polish in several grits.