New shed build to become small shop

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Here's your opportunity to chime in on the planning stage of what the park calls a storage shed that I plan to have a shop in.

The limitation is 120 soft. The side of the house this goes on is concrete with a covered patio roof. I am permitted to attach to the house and the patio roof, so only walls are needed. The whole thing has to match the house, in this case, T-111.

There is a California room (think enclosed patio) on the other side of the house. I had planned to put the CNC in there along with some other relevant tools. This is off the main entrance so I will build a wall with a door into it for aesthetic and cleanliness purposes. That space will be about 140 sqft.

I started a Sketchup drawing and importing tools to see if I could manage a decent layout. The question at hand at the moment is for you guys with CNC's. Which woodworking tools do you see living in proximity of the CNC?

I need to build furniture for myself so the covered drive and storage shed will have to fill that need.

Tools I have to accommodate or sell include: cabinet table saw, bandsaw, floor model drill press, floor model spindle sander, 6" jointer, metal cutting bandsaw, bench planer, Performax sander, Rockwell radial arm saw, floor model belt sander, workbench, 2 rolling mechanic's tool boxes, 9 filing cabinets, shop vac, SCMS on a collapsable stand, bunches of boltless shelving, rolling tool tray/cabinet, lathe, CNC and miscellaneous tables, saw horses, etc. Likely the lathe and radial arm will go on the sales block. Probably some of the file cabinets and shelving as well.

So let's hear your ideas and reasoning. We have a month before it gets built.

I live off my CNC machines. I have thought several times about what I would do if I was equipping a shop again from scratch and those thoughts may have some relevance for you.

The first machine that that I would buy would be a CNC machine to replace one of mine and the next thing I would spend money on would be a tracksaw and some kind of setup like the Festool MFT. My choice would probably be just that - the MFT and a Festool plunge saw.

For the way I work everything else in the shop is either about getting blanks ready to go on the cnc or sanding/detailing components that come off it. MFT gives me a working space and gives me a workable environment for ripping and crosscutting. I would want that as close as I can get it to the CNC.

There are other ways of achieving a similar result and I have several worktops which I have CNC cut to give me the same capabilities as the MFT top. If I were in your place I would probably make myself a 4' X 3' MFT style top from a sheet of MDF and set it up on a couple of good sturdy sawhorses and see how you get on.

Thanks, Ian. That gets the brain working. Pre-CNC os sizing workpieces which uses the same tools as furniture building. I have a track saw. I use it to break down sheet goods. Post-CNC involves sanding and finishing, so some sanding equipment could be located in the CNC area. Disk sander, belt sander, and spindle sander for the big tools. ROS and hand sanders as well. Spray finishing back to the furniture side and outdoors. Hand painting in the art room (second bedroom) which is contingent to the CNC area. Frees up some floor space in the furniture shop.

Here is the proposed layout thus far. Everything is on wheels except the table saw, the band saw, the drill press, and the file cabinets.

Shop Layout.jpg

Last edited:
Don't think so, Ted.

Here is the proposed layout of the CNC shop.

CNC layout.jpg

Shows the three big sanders. Only the shop vac and the Performax will be on wheels.

Another tiny shop tour (that seems reasonably well thought out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_gMwIQQsk

I'm mildly dubious about the drum sander with just a vacuum, although I admit I've never tried to run it like that. My 16/32 Jet is only kind of grumpy with a 4" run to the "slightly better than a shop vac" Harbor freight special. Maybe the higher flow rate might make up enough of the difference? I am curious to hear arguments to the contrary here.

After the third time he said 'dumping ground' I was done! :rolleyes:
I have used the little 5 gallon shop vac with no issue. I have an old underused Ryobi bin vac that I had planned to use there. We will see.

Today I found out that I need a different floor plan as there is some discord with the park office about the location of the shed. Just another hoop but it gave me another idea that might work and have the added bonus of more privacy. Now to get some time to play with it. Next couple of days are work werk days at the day job.

Looks like a good layout for both areas. Any kind of storage under the home? Looked like you have some panels around the base to cover up mechanicals and such. Just wondering if any of that space can be used for roll-out storage to your covered parking area for lesser used tools.

So today I find out I can't build the shed the way I planned. I needed a 'breezeway between the house and the shed and I need to be 3' away from the gas and electric meters in the back. So a few hours later here is what I came up with. It actually is a bit more functional and gets the spindle sander back in the shop. The front doors open when a cut on the table saw needs more room. The side doors to the breezeway allow the SCMS to be used in the breezeway and there is no street view into the shop most of the time. The whole area is covered so weather won't be an issue. I can go up to the roof of the patio which allows a loft for miscellaneous storage and some lumber.

New Shed Layout.jpg

New CNC Layout.jpg

After the third time he said 'dumping ground' I was done! :rolleyes:
I have used the little 5 gallon shop vac with no issue. I have an old underused Ryobi bin vac that I had planned to use there. We will see.

Is that the old Ryobi bin vac that they used to sell for the BT3 series saws? The one that was used with the vacuum hold down table? (bypass style vac, rather then the typical cooling through the hose style vac)