Walnut Side Table - Completed!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
While working on my walnut slab coffee table, I designed a side table to sit at the end of our sofa. Here's a graphic of the design:

SideTable_FR.jpg

The centerpiece of the table is a claro walnut slab I got in about 2003 while living in Florida when a friend made a wood-buying trip to the Northwest. I had not cut into this pretty hunk of wood, waiting for the right project to come along. It was long enough to get the top of my side table with enough left over for the legs of my walnut slab table. This photo of the claro slab is after several coats of Arm-R-Seal clear gloss.

SideTable_FR_01.jpg

Below are photos of the freshly-cut Michigan chocolate for the side table along with a first finish pass with Arm-R-Seal. I used my CNC machine to cut the curved legs.

SideTable_FR_02.jpgSideTable_FR_03.jpg

More as it develops!

Last edited:
Finished!!!

Yep. I finally finished this little table and moved it into our home. It seems to like it here. :)

The little slab of claro walnut turned out pretty good with the final finish on it.

SideTable_FR_05.jpg

It fits just right by my end of our sofa!

SideTable_FR_04.jpg SideTable_FR_06.jpg

:wave:

Beautiful little table, Bill. :thumb: I really like the lines of the legs. (Even though people will hardly notice the legs...the slab gets the spotlight.)

Thank you to all for your comments!

That looks great Bill, love the live edge. :thumb:

Well, since you guys are friends, I'll tell you I cheated a little. Half of the "live edge" is truly a live edge. I tried to work another piece beside it to complete it but didn't have enough material. So, I jigsawed along the grain line and roughed up the "non live" area to look more "natural".

well done bill it will be a fine addition to its bigger brother later on.. so how many coats of armour all top coat?

Larry, I wiped about ten coats of gloss on and off, sanding every couple of coats. I was having trouble getting a smooth heavier coat on for a final, so I sprayed two good coats on and let set up for a week before final assembly.