Making a Sandpaper "Holder" for Spindle Work?

Mike Turner

I am a flutemaker and sand a lot of flute blanks...not hundreds but enough to know about the wear and tear on my hands and repetitive motions. I have gotten better with my lathe tools to minimize sanding buttttt I still have to do some.

I was thinking on making something that would sort of have the shape of a flute or spindle and hold a piece of sandpaper...have a sort of 1/2 circle shape ...Have a way to hold the sandpaper with the screws or whatever out of the way and be easy to change the different grits. or change out the part holding the sandpaper to another one with another girt size (?) if possible quicklyI would use it while the blank is in the lathe but lathe not running and just go up and down the blank...It would have maybe a total length of 12" or so... I have used the Sorby sandmaster but after a while they get where they dont work or spin that good anymore...I hope you all can follow this...

I have some arthritis and am 61 and hands bother me some from so much work in plants and at home...Thanks for any help!!

Wacky idea but maybe it will work.
Get a good fitting leather glove.
Glue some velcro strips on each finger.
Use velcro backed paper in the required strip width (cut to suit)
Can then use different fingers for different grits .

Oh! just seen the finger problems so might not work for you.
Still an idea somebody might use.

Phil

Piece of appropriate radius PVC pipe, ends warmed with heat gun and flared out 1/2", ripped in half lengthwise. Glue on a thin sheet of cork and use a length of Abranet paper attached to the flare with bulldog clamps.