Forum Speed

Rob Keeble

Not wanting to complain but just some feedback from my location.

Today around 12 pm local time it seems i am working back in the day in the early 80s on a Dec Pdp 11 where one got one character up on the screen at a time and waited for the keyboard echo. :rofl:

Our hosting company is shafting us on bandwidth it seems.

Slowest i have experienced it and i got 100mbs down and 10mbs up .

It is a slow forum. Sometimes take minutes for a page to change. Unlike the other forum I am on that change with a click. Like you, I don't want to be a complainer but it is what it is.

Let me join in on the piling on..........what I experience is slow load times often but then there are times when it loads quickly. This forum though is by far the slowest one of those that I look at.

I spoke with Bluehost yesterday, they basically said that other users on the server were using shared resources and basically if we need more resources, we'll need to consider a Virtual Private Server (VPS) account. A VPS is more or less a dedicated server with dedicated resources, but there are different tiers of VPS at respective costs. After some discussion between the administrators here, we've decided that will be our course of action. Bluehost wasn't able to give us a recommendation on the size of VPS Server we'll need, so we'll be trying the lowest level of VPS they offer first. From research on other vbulletin sites, this may suffice for our daily usage and cost is comparable to what we're paying now. If not, we'll click the upgrade button and move up to the next level of VPS, but there may be performance issues until we figure out just what we do need. Thanks for everyones patience. :wave:

Edit: BTW, we have enough funds to do the upgrade(s) at this point as we should get credits for the current hosting plan when we upgrade (according to Bluehost).

Last edited:
I want to thank Darren for doing all the legwork on this. Over the years, Bluehost tech support has gotten to be more and more of a pain to deal with. It used to be you called, they answered, and you got a thinking human person on the other end of the line. Now, you call, you wait on hold for a while, and then you end up talking to "Bobby", who I'm sure is a fine individual, but he's in Mumbai reading from a script and his English pronunciation leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks for the extra behind the scenes work, looking forward to improvements and if you need more funds, let us know:thumb:

We should be fine on funding for at least the next year or two, depending on which level of upgrade we end up on. We'll upgrade one notch at a time until the speed issues are handled. :thumb:

Thanks to all of you who have the talent and ability to make this forum operate. It may be a little slow? but it is a great experience.
I don't worry to much about the speed. I know the big kahuna s are on top of the situation.
Again thanks.
David

Sounds like a good plan. My entirely outside observation is that the performance is wildly variable and has some time of day component which is pretty consistent with the <something else eating your resources> story. At the very least with a VPS you'll have some isolation from that variability.

Hoping to get this done this week, we needed to cleanup some junk files/backups (about 10 GB worth) to be able to make the switch, just waiting for bluehost to recognize the reduction in file usage to allow the upgrade to happen. :wave:

Thanks Darren and other Admins for all the efforts.

Have to ask are we sure sticking with blue host as a host is the right host to stick with. I mean it doesn't change Bobby does it?

Not punting for anyone, i use dreamhost and have never had an issue and great support for what its worth.

Thanks Darren and other Admins for all the efforts.

Have to ask are we sure sticking with blue host as a host is the right host to stick with. I mean it doesn't change Bobby does it?

Not punting for anyone, i use dreamhost and have never had an issue and great support for what its worth.

Changing hosting companies is an option that's being discussed. Changing hosts is not an easy task, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. We're planning to try the upgrade to a Bluehost VPS, but we're not averse to changing companies if need be.

Just wanted to update everyone with where we are on upgrading. After some research and talking with other forum administrators another hosting company was recommended. They provide about double the resources of what the current host can provide (for our budget). Expenses will be about $600 per year, which is a little more than we're paying now, but reasonable for a VPS host. We'll have sole usage of the server and they provide services for migrating from our current host, included.

Mostly it's my time that is limited at the moment. I should be free the following weekend to get things migrated.