Calling all the construction pros need some input on a style of building.

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Hoping some of the guys that put up buildings for a living will chime in on this one.

I have been following a company called RR buildings that are building a new Maker Space building for Jimmy Diresta in Upstate NY.

I am very interested in the construction technique being used and would like comments on it , pros cons what could be done differently or better.

Just looks to simple to be true so in my mind its a tribute to the guys doing it. But a two man crew erecting this thing. They obviously have done it before and have a process worked out.
I dont know if it would be an issue building a structure like this in Canada but I would like to consider this kind of build when i eventually get to buy a piece of land.

As i write this a fellow member is scoping out a property for me that could be 11 acres and although it has existing buildings on they never enough.

This video shows a structure that gets clad in steel I was thinking of steel roof but board and baton exterior and later possibly insulating but maybe not.

It will not be a shop more of a function venue.

Want to create a barn type image.

What is appealing to me is the sono tube foundation, then the way the posts are made up of laminated 2x6s and then the way its framed up and erected. Framing done on the ground. Lifting with a machine. Truss installation is still to come although a snippet in Jimmy Direstas vlog revealed the truss work is half done already.

How would a building like this stand up to wind loads and snow loads?

What pitfalls do you see over other techniques.

any thoughts and input most welcome and appreciated.

here are the build videos there are three to see it from start to finish, for those without time or interest to look at all skip to near the end of the last video to just see the overall construction. Any pro would only need to see that to know what has gone before and comment.

Keep in mind i come from a place where bricks concrete and mortar were what i grew up with so a wooden building is still ???? to me.

But when i see a barn that dates back to 1900 that is still rock solid however built with post and beam technique and pinned joints like i have seen the Amish build well that says it all about strength. This is not that style though so i dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5QxJHm6M_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZExqANoofg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnD73JCxNVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBGEZnB4JX8

The building construction itself is basically a "pole barn." It's a pretty common method of quickly putting up a shed, barn, or other non-inhabited building.

In my area, they're usually stick built, and the poles (uprights) are usually pressure treated 6X6's set into holes, and backfilled with earth - not the sonotubes and metal brackets in your videos.

I would agree, same as my shop is built, concrete floor poured around the posts, then sometimes finished into living space around here. My sister and her husband are considering doing one that will combo as his shop with an apartment for them to live in the summer months and head south for the winter months.

...Were the poles usually spaced further apart than those sono tubes?

Around here, they usually put the posts 8 feet apart (on center) so they can use standard ply or OSB for sheathing. Once the sheathing is on, it makes a very solid structure. Then, inside, they either add studding and batt insulation, or else use 2" or 3" foam board.

Jim what would you guess the distance to be on the sono tubes in the video building are. Thanks for the feedback.
Jim what do you think of board and baton on the exterior. ?
I would imagine using those brackets helps with any wood rot at the base. ?

Jim what would you guess the distance to be on the sono tubes in the video building are.

Looks to be 4 feet.

what do you think of board and baton on the exterior. ?

What Board & Batten? I didn't see any finished exterior in video 3.

I would imagine using those brackets helps with any wood rot at the base. ?

The concrete and brackets will definitely help prevent/delay any rot. Around here, though, direct burial of PT 6X6's will generally last about 30 years, or more.

Sorry lol going senile and forgot to mention, typically what that builder does is clad the building in steel. My thoughts were if i were to erect something like this to clad in board and baton style with steel roof, but now i think on it i think i should say tin roof, the flat tin type not the highly corrugated type, probably on top of normal ply roof covering..Is that done on a pole barn.
30 years would do me lol i got zero legacy ambitions.

Sorry lol going senile and forgot to mention, typically what that builder does is clad the building in steel. My thoughts were if i were to erect something like this to clad in board and baton style with steel roof, but now i think on it i think i should say tin roof, the flat tin type not the highly corrugated type, probably on top of normal ply roof covering..Is that done on a pole barn.
30 years would do me lol i got zero legacy ambitions.

Probably could do other materials for the roof, but all comes down to weight. The structural engineer would probably add additional trusses and beef up the spans between the poles, and maybe even the poles themselves. I've seen the sides finish with other materials, even stone, but again, they typically add other supporting materials that are applicable to the finish.

For those interested here is day 4 of that build. The guys building this are a great crew at working together.
Take note of the chains they used to brace it.

And finally get to know dimensions between the sono tubes...6ft. So building is 72ft long and i estimate 36 ft wide. Thats few feet short of 2600 sq ft. Now that's a workshop. :)

https://youtu.be/mKn0r-Lap8I

The technical term is Post Framed Construction. Check your local building codes pretty thoroughly. Ohio revised the residential code a couple of years ago to make this type construction more prescriptive. It sets limits on building width and height, post spacing, footer depth and the like. Typically the building dept. will want structural calculations on a building of this type, if you get a package deal from a big box store like Menard's or Lowe's that will be included in the price.

In our area no permit required for anything less than 256 sf, so a small structure like that last video is possible. I just have to see if using a concrete pad with turned down edge puts it in a permit required category.

Thanks Ted i missed that video.

Have to ask all you Americans what is it with you guys saying Ruff for a word spelt roof. Lol

I thought Ruff was the name of Denis the Menaces dog. :)

As "English " speaker i find it very funny.

Thanks Ted i missed that video.

Have to ask all you Americans what is it with you guys saying Ruff for a word spelt roof. Lol

I thought Ruff was the name of Denis the Menaces dog. :)

As "English " speaker i find it very funny.

Hey, at least we spell "color" correctly, lol. :rofl: