Medium Sized Pecan Serving Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Finished this bowl up yesterday. I consider it kinda a "stock" item and generally try and have a few similar to it stored for when needed. I burned a couple of decorative lines on the rim area. I did my usual sealing with a couple of coats of walnut oil and finished it with a couple of coats of a walnut oil/shellac mix. Just enough shellac to give a bit more sheen, though not sure it needed it. After sanding it to 600 grit I buffed it with a handful of like shavings. Gives the wood a nice natural sheen all of it's own without anything applied to it. Works for me and my customers. You can still feel the grain as I did not mix the shellac very heavy. It's 8 1/4" diameter, 3" high, 2" deep, and 4 cups volume measured to the brim. Hopes ya likes it!

BLP170.jpgBLP170B.jpgBLP170C.jpgBLP170D.jpgBLP170E.jpgBLP170F.jpg

Feels a bit lighter than some of your work, I like it. The burned line treatment works quite well here, I'm digging the inside and outside lines, interesting effect.

Thanks, Ryan. I normally like my walls a bit thicker, but this is how it came out. I like lines as well. Sometimes I get a tad bit carried away and wish I didn't. Oh, well. Glad you like it.

Well you can't know if you do or don't like something until you try it, and I'll be the last person to throw stones for getting carries away :D I wouldn't have thought to do that top line but imho that really just sells the piece, very cool.

Thanks, guys. For burning lines in the brim I have an old 1/2 skew that's basically a Chinese piece of junk but it's good for doing lines. On side and the like I start them with the skew and finish them with braided picture wire. Some use copper wire but the picture wire works a lot better for me on the harder woods. Especially bodark. Bodark seems to laugh at copper wire. :D I run the lathe at about 1200 and use the wire until it all starts smoking real good. Interesting smoke signals.

Very nice bowl, but I can't understand why you guys call them pecan serving bowls, when you don't put any pecans in them. I mean how can it be a pecan serving bowl if what you put in it is fruit and walnuts and almonds and hazel nuts? Anything but pecans? Geez, if I made a bowl for M&Ms, I would call it an M&M serving bowl and put M&Ms in it. I'm confused! :huh: