Rigid cordless drill set ......warranty experiences

Rob Keeble

I am asking for input from anyone and everyone with regards to their experience with Rigid and Home depot as far as battery warranty .

There is a set we being baited by at present where Rigid/Home Depot are claiming free lifetime battery warranty.

I dont want to go read their fineprint to find another version of the unlimited limited scam our telecoms suppliers tried a few years back, so what say yea that have Rigid cordless drills and have claimed on warranty.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Only company i have ever had truly honour their warranty is Orvis.

In the 90's i purchased an Orvis fly rod while on a business trip to Toronto.
The warranty was no question lifetime on anything even accidental breakage.
So think of this, i am back in SA and my tip gets broken.
Contact Orvis and they said take it to local rep store. Well they sent it back to Orvis USA for me, and couple of months later, my rod is back with new section.

Then i had another break once i moved to Canada when i let my 8 year old use my rod , no problem rinse repeat except this time they gave me an upgrade and new lovely metal rod holder and the journey continues.
So how can i ever buy a different brand Rod after that experience.
No get out of jail clauses or excuses just honouring the handshake deal they had on the ticket.

So is Rigid the same ????

Home Depot has just become a really BAD word to me. To the point that I am not going to shop there any longer. Rigid is Home Depot so I have nothing good to say.

Rather not divulge into my reasons, just to say - I told HD that I would mention it on forums

Everything I've heard about the LSA is as Dave described, so I'm switching all my battery tools over to the Rigid brand. I started with a 18V impact driver and as the other tools batteries fail (mostly Milwaukee M12 at this point) I will convert them to Rigid as well. As Dave said, pay close attention to the registration process...it's no longer enough to simply have your receipt. I've also read that you must go to a Rigid authorized repair center to get that service. Apparently that is not true, as many reports are that you simply go back to the HD store. All this is hearsay, I know, but the driver I bought has already done a lot of work and is functioning just fine. No reason to test the system yet. But I'm really tired o f buying replacement batteries.

I gave away my Ridgid drill to another member here when the charger went bad. I was in need of the drill and they were going to have me ship off the charger rather than exchange it at the store (which is what sales person had told me when I bought it), so I went to another store and bought another brand. I'm actually moving over to the hitachi tools as their 18v setup has batteries that can be disassembled to be rebuilt pretty easily.

Thanks guys and Leo , i am not that far behind you. :rofl: You still can consider yourself lucky, you get the real home depot, when it comes to any American brand store we get the watered down versions like poor relations. Same goes for Lowes , BassPro and the late Target and now the late Sears. When will they realize we have the same needs and desires as our neighbors and its the choice we want not the watered down stuff. Grrr this is my pet peeve with them. Its why i am concerned about them honoring the marketing blurb.

Darren i think thats a good move. I am at the point where i rather shop CPO refurbished whatever and not get to overpay for the tool regardless of the battery issue.

To be fair i bought the rigid oscillating sander belt sander combo and had an issue and they honored that warranty. It had to go to an approved service center but it was at least in Toronto. Took a couple of weeks but they basically replaced the entire motor. Not much in those things anyhow. lol

Home Depot has just become a really BAD word to me. To the point that I am not going to shop there any longer. Rigid is Home Depot so I have nothing good to say.

Rather not divulge into my reasons, just to say - I told HD that I would mention it on forums

I,too, swore off HD after bad service. But this Rigid warranty could lure me back. I now have three nice sets of cordless tools that are pretty much worthless due to battery failure. My ancient corded drills get a lot more service than do my modern cordless wonders.

My experience with lithium batteries is very much different than those experienced by those in this thread. I purchased my Makita 18 volt drill driver and impact driver from Home Depot in 2008. I have used these tools 'Hard' over the years in my rental home remodeling business and in my shop. Those two original 3ah batteries are still going strong. Since that original time I have acquired a full stable of cordless Makita tools. I did purchase a 4ah battery to better power an angle grinder----which draws more than any other tools, but I really appreciate how versatile the angle grinder is. Works for me.

I have't had any problems exchanging my batteries as there was a service center for Ridgid tools here in Houston. Norma took the tool, batteries and charger there for them to check and they deemed the batteries defective. They were replaced on the spot.

Since then I have decided to go with Ryobi cordless tools as you get the most bang for your buck with them and the batteries are inexpensive. My decision was also based on me working with a cabinet installer who used Ryobi cordless tools to make his living with.

I'm not knocking the Rigid or Ryobi tools. I have some old ones of both. Actually have 3 old Rigid shop vacs that are still going strong. I'm just knocking HD. Or, at least the ones in this area for the past 6-7 years. Personnel don't know squat about the products in the store. So, I just quit going there. I'm not saying Lowe's the the best of the best, but the one in Weatherford, Tx. (where I go) is pretty darned good. Nice, knowledgeable folks. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)