10" Pecan Mortar & Pestle Set

Dave Hoskins

Finished it up today and waiting for customer approval. Had the dickens of a time sanding this mainly on the inside. There were some spots that just gave me fits, as pecan can do. But, though here and there I can see a spot the whole inside feels nice and smooth. Same as the outside. As this is more or less for commercial usage I only used walnut oil on it. 3 coats. Then buffed with pecan shavings. It's right at 10" in diameter, 5" deep as requested and 5 3/4" high. The pestle is 9 1/2" long and 1 1/4" in diameter. The thing holds 1 full gallon. I burned some lines in the handle of the pestle to help with gripping it as well as decorative. There were a couple of shallow cracks in the lip that I fixed with natural pecan dust and clear glue letting the set and dry for two days. Can't feel them so I figger they be good. Here's to hoping you likes it!

VP39A.jpgVP39.jpgVP39B.jpgVP39C.jpgVP39D.jpgVP39E.jpgVP39F.jpgVP39G.jpg

Very nice Dave. Asked wife if she wanted one. She said the wooden mortar she has is to slick for good grinding. Oh well she should know. I can't tell the difference in her marble one. Still a good looking piece.
David

Our favorite Mexican restaurant has a cool looking cart that rolls up to your table where they put on a little show custom building your guacamole. They used to use a stone molcajete, but last time we were there they made the guac in a heavy plastic bowl. The server said the health department made them switch because the stone was unsanitary. I wonder if the health department would hassle anyone using wood bowls/mortar and pestle/cutting boards in a commercial setting? Anybody have first hand experience?

Ted, the Mexican restaurant that we go to once a week uses cottonwood bowls I made for them to serve the chips in. Of course they put that paper in there as well, but they have been using those bowls for 2 1/2 years. Hand wash and dry, but certainly do add to the setting of the place. They do have to use some of those plastic basket things because I ended up not turning them enough (only 30) as their business picked up. They also use 2 large wood cutting boards in the kitchen. One I made for them from pecan and they brought the other one from the restaurant they closed down. And, they have to pass an annual health inspection and have no trouble. Beats me.