6 Cupper Cottonwood Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I call it a 6 cupper because it holds 6 cups of liquid measured to the brim. Cottonwood is one of those woods that is rather popular among those who tend to like rustic. It just has that kind of look about it. Easy to get tear outs in as it is soft and rather fibrous. Sanding it to where it is 100% smooth is really hard to do. Always seem to have some spots that are more fibrous and won't sand totally smooth. This bowl is 10 1/2" in diameter, 2 1/2" high and has a depth of 1 3/4". Very lightweight and perfect for those who have arthritis real bad. Sealed the wood with two coats of walnut oil and then gave it a finish of 2 coats of walnut oil based wax. If no one buys it real soon I will take it off line and use it as a popcorn bowl. I had a set of these I used for popcorn until a friend saw them. Told me if I wouldn't sell them to her she would steal them. Hmmmm. What to do? Gonna lose them one way or the other so might as well sell 'em. Right? Hope you all like it. :D

BLCW85.jpgBLCW85A.jpgBLCW85B.jpgBLCW85C.jpgBLCW85D.jpgBLCW85E.jpgBLCW85F.jpgBLCW85G.jpg

Thanks, guys! David I tried staining a while back and it never sold. So, I just stay with the natural color of the wood. With the exception of adding some turquoise or the like now and then. Jim, there are two basic schools of thought on rustic. 1. relating to the countryside; rural, • having a simplicity and charm that is considered typical of the countryside. 2. constructed or made in a plain and simple fashion, in particular. Rustic is often mixed up with vintage. For the history buffs, cottonwood has a long history with the settlers moving out west. Saved many lives as when they saw a cottonwood grove, they knew water was readily available. And, the wood was easy to carve bowls, plates, and utensils from.

Pretty bowl, I've only had one piece of cottonwood and it was only about 6-7 inches diameter. Not a lot up this way.

A lot of my bowls sometimes still have a slight "roughness" to them, so they become "rustic".... with all the log cabins in this area, they go very well and a "rustic" bowl becomes desireable - to my advantage.