Long Skinny Cutting Boards

Stuart Ablett

4265e0c13a23c030cae9bb9a0263b799.jpg

I'm making eight long skinny cutting boards, like in the above picture.

My wife suggested this, as she says they have recently become popular here, in Japan. They are made for a loaf of French bread, or for laying out a bunch of snacks, appetizers or cheese.

We having a bunch of people over to the house for Christmas dinner on the 24th, there will be about twenty people all together, and a total of eight households.

Today I went to my wood wholesalers and bought some Maple, the guy gave me a couple of off cuts as a present, a nice piece of Poplar, and a 4' long 10" wide 1-3/4" thick piece of Southern Yellow Pine.

61cc30af789bf77f8f7caf04547716f0.jpg

One down seven to go!!

I've got to make eight cutting boards out of this one piece of wood, and then I'll make one very special one for her.

I'm trying to get this done well in advance, so I don't have the finish drying on a project as I'm giving it to someone...... for once!! LOL

Good workout for the hand planes.
Cheers!

Sent from my WAS-LX2J using Tapatalk

4265e0c13a23c030cae9bb9a0263b799.jpg

I'm making eight long skinny cutting boards, like in the above picture.

My wife suggested this, as she says they have recently become popular here, in Japan. They are made for a loaf of French bread, or for laying out a bunch of snacks, appetizers or cheese.

We having a bunch of people over to the house for Christmas dinner on the 24th, there will be about twenty people all together, and a total of eight households.

Today I went to my wood wholesalers and bought some Maple, the guy gave me a couple of off cuts as a present, a nice piece of Poplar, and a 4' long 10" wide 1-3/4" thick piece of Southern Yellow Pine.

61cc30af789bf77f8f7caf04547716f0.jpg

One down seven to go!!

I've got to make eight cutting boards out of this one piece of wood, and then I'll make one very special one for her.

I'm trying to get this done well in advance, so I don't have the finish drying on a project as I'm giving it to someone...... for once!! LOL

Good workout for the hand planes.
Cheers!

1147c508a43bd8881bbedc507803dd08.jpg

Having a nice solid sturdy bench is sure nice when you are working with hand planes.
Still loving this bench.

9b757b5a0c12ec52a0144b126656619b.jpg

You know some of the shaving actually went into the garbage LOL

Cutting boards are fun projects. I just finished a large one for my daughter. Next I'll be making three smaller ones that will look like butcher blocks on legs for relatives for Christmas. Smaller means primary use will be for cheeses.

5d88970ae70728a60d22e60e9138ce9d.jpg

I took this one to finish as I wanted to make sure that my procedure worked. I made a template, and I rough cut the shape on the bandsaw, then the router table for the template routing, then a 45 bit to chamfer the edge. Finished up with the ROS to #240. All I have left to do is the rub on finish, which will be a mix of coconut oil and beeswax.
Seven more to go!

1a841c36bbd5f6cc61eee6dc44d03d66.jpg

I changed the shape of the handle a bit, on my lovely wife's advice.
All eight done, one less thing to do between now and Christmas.