jet 1642 headache or not

allen levine

wow, not sure whats going on, the site wasnt letting me log in, kept telling me incorrect password or name.....anyway.....

Im attempting to turn bowls again, and as soon as I got a decent catch the lathe shuts off, and I wait 30 minutes, isnt going back on....its been doing this since day one, I figured its a safety feature, but Im not thrilled with this......I want to work, not sit and look at lathe.

Im not mechanically inclined, dont know much about electricity or motors, so this is just frustrating.

Im guessing lathes do this, but how do I reset it to get it to go....I unplugged and tried a different line, no luck. 20 minutes, wont go back on, 30 minutes,
my future son in law is a licensed electrician, is there something I can take out or off the motor to stop this feature, and if not, how do I reset motor/lathe/machine to fire up again?

jet1642evs

I appreciate any advice, but please remember, Im mechanically challenged, so technical stuff will go over my head.....but again, if there is something Im missing here or something I need to shut off, please let me know, I looked the instruction manual, nothing in there.

hows everyone doing these days?

Glad to see you managed to get logged back in. We made some changes over the weekend (Darren did all the hard work) that might have been causing the issue you saw.

I'm not certain, but I believe the shutting down you're seeing with your lathe is being caused by the electronic speed control. It's my understanding that it is indeed a safety feature, but it sounds like it might be set to be too sensitive on your machine. I think the first thing I'd try if I was in your position would be to call Jet tech support and see if they have any suggestions.

well, I tried most of the evening and night to get in, the site refused.....Im guessing darren did something, used the new password, I got on this morning.....

anyway.

I tried to turn it on last night hours later, it didnt work.

my neigbhor suggested I shut off power, flip the circuit breaker then try again. it took a minute but the machine popped back on.

not sure, my future son in law will look things over, the machine is wired from a gfi plug I believe and it says not to have it off of one, so this may have something to do wtih the machine not going on again. I dont know, Im going to let him look things over......its running fine, so I know its not the motor,
Ill give the bowl one more shot, it if locks up, I flip the breaker, it that doesnt work, Ill be done with bowls until I speak with Jet, dont know if they can help me, or my son in law figures out the power supply stuff.

tomorrow is devoted to cooking and spraying lacquer, elen cooks, I spray lacquer. glad I logged in....hope the problems here are resolved. thanx darren for the help.

Usually the problem with running devices like your lathe that have a VFD to control the motor speed on a line with a GFCI is that the VFD can produce back noise that trips the GFCI.

Your explanation of having to flip the CB to get it to work is consistent with the VFD making the GFCI grumpy so that would be my first angle of attack (and likely the first one Jet will tell you to take as well).

... the machine is wired from a gfi plug I believe and it says not to have it off of one,...

Who says you are not electrical? The instructions say not to use a gfi plug, and you are. (Beware other outlets in the same room may be protected by the same gfi). Unless you are going to take a bath at the lathe, I doubt if you need a gfi outlet. The instructions I have seen with gfi outlets say never to use them on a refrigerator or freezer - since the motors create electrical noise that can cause a false shut-sown, you don't want your freezer shutting down when you aren't looking. And a motor on a variable speed device creates even more noise, so more likely to do a shut-down.

Replace the outlet with the 79 cent kind rather than the $10 kind, and I bet it works.

will look, my son in law will be here thursday, I believe that outlet is run off the same line as the only gfi line I have in there. not sure why it was put in there.

Hes going to have to figure it out, and change it. that is the problem I probably had from day one.

just spoke to the electrician(sil) he will take care of it, so I should be good. thanx for help. I mentioned what was said here, and he agrees, he tried to explain it to me last night, I didnt quite get it, but he was aware of the problem and asked me about the outlets.....I should be back in business soon,he was working his regular job, (works at a hospital now) and had to go outside to a box, and got a dose of poison ivy, and hes really allergic to it, so Ill have to give him a couple of days.

just spoke to the electrician(sil) he will take care of it, so I should be good. thanx for help. I mentioned what was said here, and he agrees, he tried to explain it to me last night, I didnt quite get it, but he was aware of the problem and asked me about the outlets.....I should be back in business soon,he was working his regular job, (works at a hospital now) and had to go outside to a box, and got a dose of poison ivy, and hes really allergic to it, so Ill have to give him a couple of days.

Interesting info, makes me wonder about if the GFI plugs affect the high efficiency appliances too? I installed one by the washer connections for my washer since it was closer than 6' to water and where the sink will be. Will have to check into that. :wave:

Interesting info, makes me wonder about if the GFI plugs affect the high efficiency appliances too? I installed one by the washer connections for my washer since it was closer than 6' to water and where the sink will be. Will have to check into that. :wave:

I don't think so, at least not the same way. The VFD produces capacitance noise on the ground circuit that can trip the GFCI due to high frequency surges in how it develops its waveform (this is also what can cause VFDs to eat the bearing on old motors it turns out).

There are some similar problems with some types of (mostly older) AC-DC converters but I don't understand them well enough to try to explain it. My rough understanding though is that the newer they are the less likely its a problem because the bleed is also tied to efficiency.

I doubt that your high efficiency washer is actually running a VFD - there are other simpler systems for that use case that are much more likely to be used IMHO.

Article explaining the capacitance issues
https://www.precision-elec.com/wp-c...it-interrupters-with-lenze-ac-tech-drives.pdf

Someone trying to sell solutions to the bearing death problem (no opinion on that part) - the interesting bit here is they measured the bleed over voltage on the ground from 0.6 to 1.3a which is enough to trip a lot of GFCI's
http://www.coolblue-mhw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Preventing-VFD-damage-to-bearings.pdf