Little Laser Upgrades

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, a couple years ago I started my CNC journey with a little cheap laser. I've kind of neglected it for the last year, and basically forgot how to use it. Since I got my 3d printer, I've found that I really enjoy using a raspberry pi with octoprint to allow me to control the printer remotely.

I figured it'd be a good idea to do that with the laser, so, Here is this post.

Funny story, As I started down this path, I needed to upgrade the version of grbl on the control board from .9 to 1.1. So I did the upgraded and promptly lost all of my settings stored in the eprom. I searched and searched online for them, but had a hard time until I got the google incantation right. Found a blog entry from someone who had recorded the exact settings for the exact same laser model as me! It was me, I had made that entry http://www.isolateddesertcompound.com/2015/08/21/robots-with-frickin-lasers-grbl-settings/

I can officially play hide and seek with myself.

So, Here it is. That little laser with a 2.8mw diode. I've added a raspberry pi running CNC JS https://github.com/cncjs/cncjs

Basically, what it does, is you hook the control board of the cnc up to the raspberry pi via the usb cable. The raspberry pi is basically just a little linux computer running a nodejs server. Think of it as a website that you can use to control the cnc.

You can then upload a gcode file to the server. You control it from your computer like you would any other gcode sender, but you are not tethered to the cnc with a cable. If you have a camera connected to the pi, it can show the stream in a little window so you can keep track of it remotely. While I love Octoprint for the printer (It's really pretty much geared towards 3d printing) CNC JS is a pretty darn good gcode app that isn't tied to any external websites. Giving it 2 thumbs up.

I'm not proud of the cable management, but everything is solidly attached to a base board. I've got a little waste board on there I've burned the grid lines on. If needed I can also remove the waste board and place the whole thing on top of something else if I want to engrave it, like a cutting board or something I could directly burn a logo on.

Anyway, This week I've devoted to upgrading and getting all my CNC toys up and running. This is #1 and I'd say I'm done with it. Having some fun playing with it. Up next is an enclosure for the printer, and then I've got some major upgrades in store for my big green Ox cnc router.

CNCJS screen cap.jpg

cnc_laser_02.jpg

cnc_laser_01.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, It's pretty much a universal gcode sending sort of app. Really like it so far.

I mean I liked Chilipeppr and all, but what I didn't like about it was it required going to an external web site to do things. Sure you could in theory host your own chilipeppr, but that was pretty complicated and convoluted.

All this needs is nodejs running on the pi and boom, you are good to go. I had zero issues getting it to run. In fact, it's running right along side octoprint right now.

Does anybody else find all this as confusing as I do? I didn't understand one word of Brent's post. :huh:

(except maybe for the raspberry pi stuff, but he misspelled pie, and didn't mention serving it with ice cream...) :D

Yup really clear. Noted the raspberry "pie" and also something about chili peppers. I figured it's a cooking tutorial with electronics.
But I will follow as see what the recipe is going to be.
David

It's best to try and break these things down to their basic components. In this case, for example, we can clearly see an orange extension cord, probably plugged into a 110 outlet. The extension cord has a three way plug with two devices attached, one with an integral transformer. Those devices appear to be attached to a piece of plywood, which becomes electrified and makes the erector set thingy work. See how easy it is to problem solve if you just apply a little scientific methodology.:rofl:

It's best to try and break these things down to their basic components. In this case, for example, we can clearly see an orange extension cord, probably plugged into a 110 outlet. The extension cord has a three way plug with two devices attached, one with an integral transformer. Those devices appear to be attached to a piece of plywood, which becomes electrified and makes the erector set thingy work. See how easy it is to problem solve if you just apply a little scientific methodology.:rofl:

goat.jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAmTAAAAJDI4YzBmZjEyLWQ1M2YtNGJhNy1hZjRhLWI0MzVkMzQ0MzU1Mw.jpg