Bespoke Whiteboard

Stuart Ablett

New project, I'm making a whiteboard for a client's office, the CEO of the company. He wants something bespoke, not for sale at IKEA, LOL.
Well I can do that!
Here in Japan most whiteboards are 180 cm x 90 cm (3' x 6')
He wants something larger, but the limiting factor is the stairway. The office is on the 5th floor, and the elevator is too small, so up the stairs we go!
The max size I can fit up the stairs is 230 cm x 97 cm (8'-6" x 3'-2")
I'll the whiteboard is custom made high quality enamel on steel mounted to a 6mm (1/4") hardboard. This hard board is shipped in a box/crate, and you have to be careful with it or it will bend.
Also at the size he wants I cannot assemble the whiteboard in my workshop, not could I transport it, so my plan is to make the frame of the whiteboard in six pieces, two side pices, and two pieces on the top and two on the bottom. I'll make a joint of some sort in the middle of both the top and the bottom, the bottom I will also put a chalk ledge, so that should be easy, the top, I want to make something fancy.

To start I need to rip down the big chunks of wood, but my resaw bandsaw us out of action, I thought I had another blade, but I do not, whoops, and the one I have is dull.
I've ordered a second blade, and I've sent out the dull one to be sharpened.
Ok I'll rip these boards down on the SawStop. I put my WoodWorker II thin kerf ripping blade on and well, let it rip!

9195ad5d6d6548ad9646809e550241fb.jpg

That 3 hp ripped through these 52mm (2") thick Hard Maple like butter.

58b300051e4cf32686bfad85462c3897.jpg

If you look, I think there is some curl in that board.
More later!

Sent from my WAS-LX2J using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Woke up this morning to an angina attack, have not had one in six months. Nitro spray, wait five min and the pain was gone. Really frustrating, the docs can find no reason for them, they just come. I've had so many tests done, but no blockages, my blood work is good, and my blood pressure is ok too.

That left me sleeping away most if the day, but now I'm down in the Dungeon for a few hours.
5e7eb1cd9196b9f4f0d707f698c1cf2e.jpg

Dug the jointer out and I just want to say something about how I keep it. My workshop in the summer can be of high humidity, I keep the air-conditioning on 24/7 so my tablesaw is usually OK, but the jointer can sit for months at a time.

2912f7d34ec39e0f88ee4da5f29ba168.jpg

I cover it up with some old bedsheets, 100% cotton, and I spray the sheets periodically with this Kure CRC 3-36 rust inhibitor, it has worked very well.

Now on to jointing these boards.

Stuart re your anginia attack. Have you had your sleep monitored?? Possible sleep apnea. I have it and it caused all kinds of problems. Now doing fine with CPAP machine. Just a thought, not a doctor.
Like how you keep rust at bay

. Do you wax your planer bed? Seems to work for me. I wax all cast iron beds in shop and wipe down throughly.
David

Stu you sure get some interesting projects. It stands out how small everything seems to be in Japan every time you have a project a huge effort has to go into working around the constraints of space.
I guess the fact that you do it so well is a credit to you and a great differentiator on its own besides the quality of your work.
You must be getting quite the reputation in your neighborhood.

Well done.

David makes a good point. Just had a sleep study after the wife said my snoring was keeping her awake. Pick up my CPAP machine next week. The doc ran through the sleep study read out with me and even though I didn't snore a bunch during the study my O2 levels were on a roller coaster. He thinks a good nights sleep will make a big difference. He also said sleep apnea and its variants are linked to heart problems. Worth a check.

Ted before I had sleep test my boss on returning from a fishing told the wife she was a saint to put up with my snoring. Now it's a "silent night" .
Stuart that is sure pretty grain wood. Hope you don't paint it.
David

Stuart re your anginia attack. Have you had your sleep monitored?? Possible sleep apnea. I have it and it caused all kinds of problems. Now doing fine with CPAP machine. Just a thought, not a doctor.
Like how you keep rust at bay

. Do you wax your planer bed? Seems to work for me. I wax all cast iron beds in shop and wipe down throughly.
David
Yes test for sleep, not a problem, thankfully.
I wax the bed of the jointer each time I use it.
Cheers

Working on the bespoke Whiteboard.
The frame will be 5 cm square stock that I will put a rabbit in to accept the Whiteboard which is 3 cm thick. Yes, over an inch thick. The board will be 2360 mm long by 970 mm tall that's just the whiteboard, the frame of course will be larger.

The frame is so long that I cannot easily process the wood on my short jointer or for that matter it will be difficult to assemble the frame in my workshop and then transport it to the client's office. I will make the frame out of six pieces, two vertical pieces and four horizontal pieces. The two horizontal pieces will be joined in the middle with a scarf joint.

d8f795ffcbeb52ac90e4bb5e6da5b023.jpg

In this picture a rendition of the basic design, I just use the very simple straight joint but actually I'm going to use a bit fancier joint.

dde4daea82a75c3eebab537d1579c105.jpg

ceaa23191afe5d6dd01be6a6ef225b9d.jpg

b17b32b0290650d9e5701f8d2ad76f11.jpg

bcb2870f3c258fc702fc055e4cd2bc2b.jpg

ecf6169efa1f82957cbcd0f26b0323a7.jpg

f4d8eae7637f87cbc9034b214677be0d.jpg

1919f30876465d947667f2cdf0edd2ae.jpg

I'm doing a test piece now, the cuts are being made on the table saw and with hand tools as well as drilling a hole where the one section of the scarf joint cannot be cut with the tablesaw.

I sharpened up my chisels and had a go, unfortunately it's quite late here now and I can't be pounding so I'll finish up tomorrow, and then.mske it's mate. Once it fits together, I will put a pin in from the top, as well as two wedges in the scarf joint. These will not be permanently installed so that it will be possible in the future to take the frame off the board and transport it to another office if that was necessary.

Wish me luck this is a little bit outside my comfort zone but I guess I'll be able to figure it out.
Thanks.

I thought wood with a curl or other figure was considered a flaw in Japan. Didn't you recently get some "scrap" from the lumber dealer because of the figure?

Other topic: A guy that worked with me years ago lived on a CPAP machine. Then he had his nose surgically rebuilt (only partially for cosmetic reasons) and was able to give up the machine, and lived happily ever after.

Charlie,. my better half will not allow me to give up the CPAP machine. It solved snoring which she said raised the dead. Old boss said she was a saint for putting up with me. But that's another story.
David

Charlie,. my better half will not allow me to give up the CPAP machine. It solved snoring which she said raised the dead. Old boss said she was a saint for putting up with me. But that's another story.
David

My co-worker had a series of girlfriends, but after the nose surgery got a wife, and was sleeping well. I haven't asked her about the snoring but he gave up the CPAP because he was breathing through the nose.