How do you browse the forums?

What type of devices do you use to browse family woodworking (multiple choice)

• Desktop or laptop computer

Votes: 45 93.8%
  • Tapatalk

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Phone web browser

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Tablet web browser

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
I have this unreasoning antipathy towards using apps when a browser serves perfectly well. The lightest skin I found (Woody dialup) has a problem with the link bar on mobile (Android chrome) where you can get to the "quick links" link because it's obscured by the search box. Other than that works pretty well. And yeah I'm sure Tapatalk is much better :)

Haven't used Tapatalk in a long time due to earlier frustrations with it, so I just use a browser (typically Chrome) on a PC or laptop. In a pinch, I'll use a browser on m phone, but it's pretty laborious. It's been a while since I tried Tapatalk, but my main issue back then was navigation, as well as the way it tried to decide what I wanted to see. As I've typed this response, I opened up Tapatalk on my phone and it looks like it's changed since I last used it. Things seems pretty straightforward again. When we first started using Tapatalk, I liked it and used it quite a bit. Then somewhere in the middle there things went south.

I have this unreasoning antipathy towards using apps when a browser serves perfectly well. The lightest skin I found (Woody dialup) has a problem with the link bar on mobile (Android chrome) where you can get to the "quick links" link because it's obscured by the search box. Other than that works pretty well. And yeah I'm sure Tapatalk is much better :)

Good info, I'll see what I can do to make it stack correctly. :wave:

Haven't used Tapatalk in a long time due to earlier frustrations with it, so I just use a browser (typically Chrome) on a PC or laptop. In a pinch, I'll use a browser on m phone, but it's pretty laborious. It's been a while since I tried Tapatalk, but my main issue back then was navigation, as well as the way it tried to decide what I wanted to see. As I've typed this response, I opened up Tapatalk on my phone and it looks like it's changed since I last used it. Things seems pretty straightforward again. When we first started using Tapatalk, I liked it and used it quite a bit. Then somewhere in the middle there things went south.

It has improved, there for a while they lost their minds and didn't seem to listen to what users were wanting and changed things weekly in the navigation. :rolleyes: There was also ForumRunner, which vBulletin has built into it, but the developers for it seemed to have abandon it the last couple of years and it's become a security risk, so we've disabled it here.

I want to thank everyone that has participated so far in the poll and given input. We've got google analytics running to collect some of this information, but to be honest, it reflects the usage of everyone that stops by the site, not those that are actually here every day.

With those statistics, we'd be starting to mostly support mobile. ;)

stats.png

With those statistics, we'd be starting to mostly support mobile. ;)

View attachment 101087

I will admit to perhaps more phone addiction that is strictly healthy (after having made fun of other people with smart phones for some years.. how quickly we can loose our glory). However, I tend to fall back to the laptop for actual responses. I've gotten pretty good at the swipe-to-type keyboard but its not the same (and typing still isn't the same mentally as writing things longhand but alas that option is denied us here haha).

So I have to wonder how much of that is "casual checkins" versus "considered perusal" (for lack of better terms). Are there analytics on what platforms are used most for posting?

I will admit to perhaps more phone addiction that is strictly healthy (after having made fun of other people with smart phones for some years.. how quickly we can loose our glory). However, I tend to fall back to the laptop for actual responses. I've gotten pretty good at the swipe-to-type keyboard but its not the same (and typing still isn't the same mentally as writing things longhand but alas that option is denied us here haha).

So I have to wonder how much of that is "casual checkins" versus "considered perusal" (for lack of better terms). Are there analytics on what platforms are used most for posting?

Well, there are ways to drill into the data and find those that are fly-by and those that are returning users, my poll here was the lazy way to help get a better grasp on the usage by platform. ;) :D

Quick question. How do those who only use tapatalk respond to the poll? I can never see the poll using tapatalk and have to go to my laptop to vote.

Lol i used tapatalk to reply to poll and given it don't show up, assumed (made a ass out of me) it was to be a written reply.

I have found tapatalk on a 10 in Samsung tablet with stylus to be pretty good way to access forum.
On a phone the pics are too small.
Pecking on the screen for reply typing with the stylus works pretty well for me .
Only thing i dont like about tapatalk is the battle between uploading an image to the forum versus them deciding they going to host whatever you uploading.
I dont see where they get to make money though, so dont know the longevity of it. There are no ads or revenue generators on it that i can see must be missing something.

I dont see where they get to make money though, so dont know the longevity of it. There are no ads or revenue generators on it that i can see must be missing something.

You must have the premium level account. ;o)

a43d6c30c9a2a19c6b484aab6972134e.jpg

Sidebar: One of my clients packs for HelloFresh. I wonder which is worse, food waste when buying for just yourself, or the packaging waste above.

Haha the level of debate that's been had on that subject between me (buy bulk, eat from pantry) versus one of my friends (I think he's using Green Chef or something similar) has been somewhat heated to the point of weighing the ingredients and waste and comparing dollar expenditures. No agreement has been reached, although I'm throwing much less out overall and certainly throwing out less non-biodegradable material. He claims we're not doing "comparable" meals, I claim they're just as good or better than what he's eating. I can say that trash wise I'm a full can per week "behind" him (that may have almost as much to do with other expenditures though...) and he actually composts more than us so its a pretty substantial difference.

I found a lot of the marketing material a bit misleading. They would count the cost, waste, and overhead as if you bought everything for just one meal (including things that everyone buys in "bulk" like spices). I guess some folks shop like that but it would seem highly inefficient.

Just curious about the poll - what are those percentages in the far right column? They don't seem to represent any thing germane to the poll. Overall, they currently total about 140%.