More pictures ofmy as yet unfinished bench

Tom Bussey

A lot of times I do not go back and revisit a post once I have looked at it unless there are a lot of views so I thought I would do a new post. Here are some pictures of more uses of the bench.

The first is clamping a long board with a shoulder vise. Because it is a split top the next two pictures show a long board being cut using a holdfast and a support not shown in the picture.

DSC03255.jpg DSC03259.jpg DSC03261.jpg

Clamping for left handed work using the leg vise and a holdfast, and clamping on the leg side using two hold fasts.

DSC03262.jpg DSC03263.jpg

Next are clamping a long board with a tail vise and using a bench slave and the tail vise. I put some round bench dogs in the tail vise for clamping longer boards.

DSC03264.jpg DSC03274.jpg

And clamping a board with the shoulder vise and holdfast and using 2 holdfasts.

DSC03267.jpg DSC03268.jpg

Here you have about 45 years of experience and using a bench to solve a lot of problems I wished I had a better way to deal with them at the time. I see a lot of pictures posted on bench builds and I think so much more could be built into them. The Roubo bench is extremely popular at the present. The main purpose two or three hundred years ago was to flatten and straighten one or more edges and it did a great job of it. But today we have saws jointers and planners so a bench should have more uses. My bench fits me and the type of work I do. I truly hope I have added some fresh ideas into bench construction for someone and that one will make a bench that fits their needs and not just another Roubo because every one thinks it is the way to go.

Attachments

• DSC03165.jpg
    DSC03165.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
I am hoping to build a new bench over the winter, thought I knew exactly what I wanted..............Nope, not now:rofl: Too many great features of yours, maybe time to rethink:rolleyes: as Rennie so well said "impressive"