more boxes

allen levine

the more projects I make, the more pieces of strips and scraps I have, so I like to practice with my mitre jig.

even when I finish making small boxes, I have cutoffs from those small boxes, so I made a really small box.

tung oil, wait a few days, then use the only lacquer I have, em6000 target. sand lightly with 400 grit. metal box feet, cute knobs for top. my wife likes them, she took one, but I have to switch the knob for her.

Attachments

• moreboxes 001.jpg
    moreboxes 001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 46
  • moreboxes 003.jpg
    moreboxes 003.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 42
  • moreboxes 002.jpg
    moreboxes 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 39
The feet were originally ordered for wedding card holders boxes for the 3 I needed to make
The kids liked the original box and all agreed they would use the same one and might change handles
So I ordered 5 sets o feet from somewhere online I don’t recall
Ac Moore might have them purchased the knobs from them on sale buy one get one half price

I just googled small box feet and they come up on several
Sites easy enough to find

I said to Elen I’m having fun with mitres she said to me oh no let’s meet them in Lancaster and go quilt shopping and then we can have fun with mida
I don’t think she got me she has quilting disease

Lets call it "carefully selected and saved small pieces of wood" rather than scrap and offcuts ;)

Boxes look great. I'll second the foot and knob comments but imho you nailed the mitres which in the grand scheme is more important imho.

everyone should make a mitre jig at one point or another, simple to make, and the mitres are always spot on perfect. make it out of a leftover piece of ply, and whatever else laying around, I used old 2x4s,
dont know why I waited so long to make one.

everyone should make a mitre jig at one point or another, simple to make, and the mitres are always spot on perfect. make it out of a leftover piece of ply, and whatever else laying around, I used old 2x4s,
dont know why I waited so long to make one.

Where is such mitre jig? Did you use plans from somewhere?

I just looked at some you tube video and made the jig, there are alot of instructional videos, I dont recall now which video I watched.

peter, plain ole polyurethane, 4 coats. last coat was contaminated, streaked a bit, when table goes to daughter, I will sand down a bit and put another 2 coats on it.

it looks ok, everyone thinks its fine, I just have a problem with the feel of it in some spots. Not a big deal to sand down and apply more poly. The leafs are ok.